Good 700x23 tyre for cornering in wet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
(OOPS- title should read 25 not 23)

Took the virtuoso out for a change on saturday after working on the back wheel to re-tension spokes and straighten the wheel.

Had a particularly hairy moment at a junction when turning right, front wheel slid from under, managed to hold it and take corner slow and wide, could have been iffy if I'd been off due to traffic also turning right alongside me.

I kniow there is no 100% grippy tyre but rather than the stock rubbers that are on the front, any recommendations for something a bit more sticky? Preferably available in red to match the bike, just for fun (no worries if its not though)

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
bontrager race x-lite ac

http://www.bikecare.co.uk/product_info.php?acc=Road Tyres&id=300

used them all winter and they never put a foot wrong!!

and, they come in RED!!!! :biggrin:

if you can find somewhere with them in stock

PK99

Legendary Member
gaz said:
I like the Vittoria Rubino Pro. the centre contact patch is slick, and the sides have a tread. so when you corner your using the tread and they hold the road well!

fron Sheldon Brown:

Tread for on-road use

Bicycle tyres for on-road use have no need of any sort of tread features; in fact, the best road tyres are perfectly smooth, with no tread at all! Unfortunately, most people assume that a smooth tyre will be slippery, so this type of tyre is difficult to sell to unsophisticated cyclists. Most tyre makers cater to this by putting a very fine pattern on their tyres, mainly for cosmetic and marketing reasons. If you examine a section of asphalt or concrete, you'll see that the texture of the road itself is much "knobbier" than the tread features of a good quality road tyre. Since the tyre is flexible, even a slick tyre deforms as it comes into contact with the pavement, acquiring the shape of the pavement texture, only while incontact with the road.
People ask, "But don't slick tyres get slippery on wet roads, or worse yet, wet metal features such as expansion joints, paint stripes, or railroad tracks?" The answer is, yes, they do. So do tyres with tread. All tyres are slippery in these conditions. Tread features make no improvement in this.

Tynan

Veteran
quite sure the road was clean, no leaves, oil, metal etc? no tyre in good nick should slide uness you're really caning it I'd have thought

certainly the vast majority of proper tyres will be fine I'd have thought

buddha

Veteran
After about 1000 miles my Rubino Pro's started to get a bit 'slippy' in the wet. So I spent a little more and got some Diamante Pro's which are much better (done about 1500 on them through winter). Though as it's dry again the Rubino's a back on - they last ages!
For a proper wet tyre the Rubino Pro Tech is probably best. I've not tried them though.

Re the side 'tread'. I have a both Rubino Pro's (with side tread) and Rubino Pro Slick (no side tread). And I find the Rubino Pro (with tread) corners better - just my opinion.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Michelin Pro Race 3. Now also as Pro3 grip, but the standard ones are pretty phenomenal and they roll fast too.

Trade-off with grippy tyres is that they may not last so many miles

andrew_s said:
The Conti GP4S won this 2007 test of how fast a wet corner could be taken without falling off.
(tested on a kick bike (scooter) as not so far to fall)

I ride Conti 4 seasons for the puncture resistance and find them overall really grippy in the wet as well. May give the 4000's a go reading this

Top Bottom