Good deed of the day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bike to work ride for us today (we have a monthly one).

On a back street we spotted some glass way too late, 100 yards later.....hisssssss

Colleague had a 28-35mm tube to go in his 23mm tyre...... :ohmy: out came a spare 23mm tube from me and gloves, and another colleague whipped out a Topeak Mountain Morph (excellent by the way) and I then sorted out said tube replacement (whilst colleague still had gloves on and was finding his bits and bobs............) :thumbsup:

All fixed in pronto time........... :thumbsup:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I've fitted one of those larger tubes to a 23 tyre before. You have to inflate to soft, squeeze and kneed the tyre, deflate a little and then pump up to the lower of the tyre values imo to ride out any creases... On my old Marin I rode on one for years with no problems.

While on the topic - is it bad practice to do the other way around - fit an 18-23 tube into, say, a 28mm or bigger tyre?

Normally when my wife and I are on a short Sunday ride I only carry a spare 18-23 - for myself. She rides a hybrid on 700x28C tyres. I've guessed that if she gets a 'visit' I can put in the 18-23 as a stopgap - at low pressure - to get us home. But not yet put to the test...

Jezston

Über Member
While on the topic - is it bad practice to do the other way around - fit an 18-23 tube into, say, a 28mm or bigger tyre?

Normally when my wife and I are on a short Sunday ride I only carry a spare 18-23 - for myself. She rides a hybrid on 700x28C tyres. I've guessed that if she gets a 'visit' I can put in the 18-23 as a stopgap - at low pressure - to get us home. But not yet put to the test...

I guess it would mean you'd have a thinner rubber wall thus slightly more likely to get a puncture, but I've seen 18-23 tubes blown up to HUGE sizes without them bursting.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus

We're talking about 5mm difference so it wont matter too much. The problem usually comes from a much larger tube getting folded or caught inside a small tyre.

Top Bottom