Good driving is good business

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Molecule Man

On my way into town this morning, I was coming along a narrow road with lots of speed bumps and parked cars. I noticed a white van behind me and was alert for trouble, but it waited behind me all the way to the end of the road and when we stopped at the lights, the bloke in the passenger seat complimented me on my speed and we had a nice little chat.

The van was from LJ Renovations, a small building firm in East Dulwich. Now I just happen to need some work done on our windows, so they've got themselves a potential customer due to courteous driving.

If only more people would realise that their behaviour in public can have an impact on their business.
Mind you, the worst aggression I've experienced recently was a van from a debt recovery firm, so maybe they were trying to demonstrate how good they are at bullying people into submission.

rowan 46

Über Member
Nice post, it's easy to think when reading these forums that all drivers are inconsiderate we forget the reason we point out the bad ones is because they are the exception rather than the rule.

Pisquee

Regular
I once had a taxi driver start trying to get attention at a red light, was assuming he was going to complain at me about something, but no he wanted to chat to me about my butterfly handlebars - was really interested and had a pleasant chat - was a welcome surprise.

wesa

There is a local buiding firm that has always stood out in my mind for bad driving. I don't know what has happened recently but the standard of driving has been through a step change, I have seen noting but courtesy & politness.

I used to be in a job that allowed me to select subcontractors for decent sized projects, this building firm never appeard on my enquiry lists for no ther reason than their driving standards, I was once challenged on this and my reasons were fully accepted.

Unfortunatley I am no longer in that job and I don't have any work for them now!

I have been doing some recruitment recently, when I am cycling in, aware of an AM interview, I always think what are the chances that car driver X is the person I am about to interview. It has never happened and I suppose it never will but it could be fun.

OP
OP
M

Molecule Man

I used to be in a job that allowed me to select subcontractors for decent sized projects, this building firm never appeard on my enquiry lists for no ther reason than their driving standards, I was once challenged on this and my reasons were fully accepted.

That makes a lot of sense I think, beyond just wanting to punish or reward bad or good driving. If someone acts like a careless thug on their way to a job, there's a chance they'll bring a careless, thuggish attitude to doing that job.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Exactly. We want some work done to the house (well, we've been talking about it for about 2 years now!) and my Wife mentioned a local firm as a possibility for getting a quotation from. I said there was no way I'd consider them due to a full and frank exchange I had with one of their drivers (very small family business so possibly the Owner/Son of Owner) who basically parallel turned (out of a road on my right as I was proceeding along the main road, to join my direction of travel) onto the road I was on, then just started to pull over to park almost taking me out in the process. Not even a SMIDSY, he just thought I should have stopped to let him park up rather than having to wait about 5 seconds for me to pass the spot he wanted to park in. :angry:

wesa

That makes a lot of sense I think, beyond just wanting to punish or reward bad or good driving. If someone acts like a careless thug on their way to a job, there's a chance they'll bring a careless, thuggish attitude to doing that job.

This was exactly my point when I was asked why we didn't use them, my MD accepted that. Personally I think the argument is flawed, I think there is a Jekyll & Hyde element, but I am not going to try to prove that!

Jezston

Über Member
Shame I don't know what the business was, but I had an incident a few months ago where some impatient twot at some traffic lights cut virtually through me as the light changed rather than waiting a second or two for me to move into a safe position. A few seconds later a white van pulled up besides me as I was moving along, matching my speed and the someone was leaning out of the passenger window. Not now, thought I, I've just had one incident, I don't want some WMV giving me grief, too.

Bloke says "sorry about that - he was with us - I'll be having a word!", or words to that effect.

Nice! :smile:

Chilternrides

I once had a taxi driver start trying to get attention at a red light, was assuming he was going to complain at me about something, but no he wanted to chat to me about my butterfly handlebars - was really interested and had a pleasant chat - was a welcome surprise.

Very similar situation happened to me too, a couple of short beeps and "excuse me" - I looked behind and asked the cabbie if something was wrong, and he said, "Yes, I've been trying to catch you since Liverpool Street - what did you have for dinner!).

As per the OP - it's good to see people swapping pleasantries on the road for a change, from all sides.

abo

I have been doing some recruitment recently, when I am cycling in, aware of an AM interview, I always think what are the chances that car driver X is the person I am about to interview. It has never happened and I suppose it never will but it could be fun.

*that* would just be so much fun :biggrin:

Canrider

Guru
*that* would just be so much fun :biggrin:
Not quite the same, but back in the mists of time (the C+ days), someone* related a story about being cut up by a lorry on their way in.
to their job as some form of lorry loading/despatch/warehouse manager. Guess which lorry took surprisingly long to load and get its paperwork sorted out that day?

*Cannot remember who, unfortunately.

Top Bottom