Good LBS in Newcastle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porteous

Veteran
My son has bagged a nice classic Dawes on E-Bay but he's in Newcastle at Uni so we need a good LBS that understands vintage bikes and can give it a service and any minor repairs/adjustments until I get it in the workshop when he comes home for Christmas. Grateful for all suggestions.

ianjmcd

Über Member
there is one in gosforth ive heard good things about http://www.msteelcycles.co.uk/

baldycyclist

Über Member
more thumbs up than you need to know about
Steels are the best around
Denton cycles in the West end used to be fab before closing down
There is one in Byker - but it is an Edinburgh Bike shop.
Start fitness have just opened a substantial shop in the centre of town near the Monument and Windows Arcade - a mixture of experienced guys fettling stuff and young guys who try hard to be "bike-cool"

http://www.recyke-y-bike.org/repair/
They've stocks of old components stripped from donated bikes, and your lad can, for a modest fee, avail himself of a fully equipped workshop and some advice/help in getting his bike up to scratch and, if he's in Toon for 3 years, maintaining it throughout his course.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The Bicycle Repairman at Prudhoe's good... the lads are all cyclists. I take my Dawes Lighning to them and they've been really good- even fitted a new freewheel cassette for me... + sourced new 27" alloy wheels- rebuilding the rear one because I wanted quick release.
+1 for Steeles in Gosforth- they stock all the Specialized bikes too, unlike Evans who sell them but have none in the shop.
Didn't know about recyke y'bike mind!

AndyRM

XOXO
Steels is a good shout.

The Hub on Quayside may also be able to help out.

Can't say a bad word about Start - I've bought a bike, had one serviced, and a friend has had a bike built by them; reasonablely priced and knowledgeable chaps. Maybe not the best bet for older bikes though.

There's also Cycle Centre on Shields Road - had an excellent service from them too.

Slightly out of town is Cycle Logical who are good.

Recyk'ybike are OK, but they can be quite expensive in my experience.

When they get back on their feet, KB Cycles is an excellent shop, one of the oldest around I believe.

didnt realise start had a bad reputation

Only passing on the experience of two friends. Both bought bikes from there, subsequently had problems and bikes were returned for repair/adjustment several times. Problems were never fully sorted out and by all accounts service was very poor and slow. In the end both took the bikes elsewhere and they had no more problems.

Top Bottom