Got an Arione? : where are your ar5e cheeks meant to sit?!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RSV_Ecosse

Finally went out this afternoon perched atop my new Fizik Arione. It has replaced the standard MOst saddle that came on my FP1.

After a bit of fiddling around I believe I have finally got it in the correct position for me. But I'm slightly perplexed by just exactly where I'm meant to sit on it. I know that sounds a bit daft.

Are you meant to sit your bum cheeks so they are directly over the "wings" of the wingflex system thingy or what?. I found that I got a more comfortable position by sitting slightly further forward nearer the nose but in doing so am I still using the "wingflex" as it is supposed to be used?.

Or should I just shut up and be content with sitting forward on the saddle?. :tongue:

P.S. If the cyclist who was travelling in the opposite direction on the other side of the dual carriageway between Bowtrees roundabout and Skinflats is reading, I'm sorry I didn't wave but I didn't notice you till the last minute when I was trying to negotiate the kerb to get back onto the road from the cyclepath. Sorry!!!.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sit where it's comfy.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have Ariones on both my road bikes and I find them very comfortable - when set up to suit me.

I experimented with my saddle set-up on one bike until I found the ideal one for me. I have the front part of the saddle pretty much horizontal, which means that the back of the saddle slopes up slightly. If I have the saddle set up so that the nose and rear of the saddle are level, I get genital numbing. If the forward slope is too great, I start to slide forward. The difference between those two extremes is only a few degrees for me.

Having got the angle right, I tried sliding myself forwards and backwards on the saddle until I found the most comfortable spot for my sit bones. For me, that is just forward of the broadest part of the saddle.

Having decided where I wanted to be sat on the saddle, I then moved it forward until I felt in most comfortable pedalling position, and a comfortable reach to the handlebars. I copied that set-up to the other bike.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Depends really - I used to be further back when climbing, further forward when trying to be fast. Most of the time I ended up with my sit bones on or around the wing flex bits.

The only problem I can think of with being further forward a lot is that you'll end up with more pressure on your perineum - but if you're comfortable and there are no ill effects, theres no law saying you have to be further back...

OP
OP
RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Thanks John. I think Colin described it a bit better than me when he said he sits just forward of the broadest part of the saddle. That's pretty much where I found it was most comfortable this afternoon. I have yet to try different adjustments in angle/slope yet, that will be my next port of call.

This afternoon was the first go on the Arione and to be fair it was only on my usual quick training route of @30 miles. I read that the Arione needs a "breaking in" period so that the wee ribs contained within the wingflex break in proportion to your position and leg/ar5e movement, does that take a long time?. I realise I may be asking how long that piece of string is. :tongue:

Top Bottom