GPS - off road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

I used to use Viewranger (http://www.viewranger.com/) on my old Nokia phone. I've now switched to a XDA Orbit (windows mobile) phone and I would like to install some sort of similar software.
(View ranger doesn't work on my new phone).

Basically I want reasonably detailed 'os' style maps possible 1:50,000 scale of the national parks for a windows mobile phone and I don't want to pay a fortune for them.

RedBike said:
I used to use Viewranger (http://www.viewranger.com/) on my old Nokia phone. I've now switched to a XDA Orbit (windows mobile) phone and I would like to install some sort of similar software.
(View ranger doesn't work on my new phone).

Basically I want reasonably detailed 'os' style maps possible 1:50,000 scale of the national parks for a windows mobile phone and I don't want to pay a fortune for them.

Memory-Map will download a "pocket" version on to t a Windows Mobile 5 OS and you can upload maps from the program.

However for dedicated versions there are only two options as far as I am aware that enable the use of OS mapping at 1:50000 or 1:25000 level

Satmap

Road Angel

However the problem with all of these is still the mapping as this needs to be bought separately.

I use the SatMap and it is brilliant.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

It looks like memory map is my only option then.

I'm lucky enough to have a garmin Legend. I can sort of use this to navigate off-road with. Once off the main roads there's no map to speak off but you can plot and follow a track. The only trouble I have is it's not very clear when you need to take a turning and the lack of a map is very unhelpfull when you've clearly gone the wrong way or can't find a path.

I could (and have been) taking a paper map but it takes me forever to find myself on it. I hate standing around in the cold when I'm lost! I miss having that electronic map with a big arrow showing where I am and with my route highlighted!
It makes getting back on track so much quicker / easier!

Top Bottom