GPS satellite fixes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I have a garmin gpxmap60csx and an HTC desire s phone loaded with google navigation app. The Garmin gets a signal almost anywhere..including inside a building etc. The HTC struggles to get any signal even in open ground with a clear view of the sky...erm...why?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Download an app called "gps status" for your phone, it shows you more info on your phones gps data and you can force it to reset/download the latest gps data etc :smile:

The dedicated garmin will have better gps chip/sensors than a smartphone, but a smartphone connection should be plenty good. Ive recorded hundreds of rides with a HTC Desire HD, which I dont imagine is hugely different :smile:

paul04

Über Member
I have use the app "gps status" when I was having problems with my samsung galaxy phone, and like Mr Jamie said, it will reset your gps on the phone so you can get a better gps lock.

also have a look for a update for your phones software, I updated mine to the lastest software (android 4.0.4) which fixed all the gps lock problems

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
i installed gps fix and gps status but the little green 'where the hell arw those satellites' icon just keeps flashing ...off to try to update phones software as suggested...could it be that the anntenna or gizmo whatever inside is broken..loose...i had the scren replaced after the phone was dropped...but since then it has locked on a couple of times..only never in a town..only in open areas.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Two reasons - Garmin uses SIRF star gps chips and has a better arial.- The H in HcX (the older garmins before the introduction of the SIRF chip were no better than todays phones) - Very sensitive GPS receiver with fast start up time - On tour I have often noticed my GPS has tracked my progress around supermarkets - sitting here in my house the Garmin has a very good fix - my phone nowt. with the phone the GPS is just an addon - cheap and cheerful.

defy-one

Psmiffy is correct. the radio antenna inside most phones acts as a 3-in-1 for bluetooth,phone & GPS signal. The lock is ok,but never great. Don't know of any that use the SIRF II or III chipset.
This is why a dedicated sat nav unit usually outperforms phone GPS systems. Usually 3 satellite fixes as a minimum,and often a few more giving greater accuracy

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My GPS no longer works on my HTC following replacing the screen. The antenna wire to the motherboard is very fragile. It broke. Maps still work using the mobile signal, but it is no longer any good for nav or strava. That said I have two garmins and they are far better for GPS.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom