GPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
rh100 said:
The Dakota is about £200, you are correct.
Someone on another thread recommended these people as the best place to get Garmin stuff and they have the Dakota 10 for £135 and the next one up for £190. http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2163/garmin-dakota-10

I too need some suggestions for GPS tracking. I do have a well-featured phone but I'm not too happy about billing my employers for tootling round on my bike; and there would be sour faces if I lost the thing.

What I want is something I can swap from bike to bike, which tells me where I have been and the amount of ascent, as well as the usual computer stuff like speed and time. At home I use Tracklogs, but I do a fair bit of cycling abroad and I don't have digital maps of Europe. I'm not at all interested in pulse, calories and all that fiddle-faddle and I'm only marginally interested in using it for route-finding - I prefer a small scale map. Whatever it is, it has to work in a downpour, unlike my Cateyes and VDOs.

Someone has suggested the Garmin Edge 500, but is there anything else I should look at?

rh100

ASC1951 said:
Someone on another thread recommended these people as the best place to get Garmin stuff and they have the Dakota 10 for £135 and the next one up for £190. http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2163/garmin-dakota-10

I too need some suggestions for GPS tracking. I do have a well-featured phone but I'm not too happy about billing my employers for tootling round on my bike; and there would be sour faces if I lost the thing.

What I want is something I can swap from bike to bike, which tells me where I have been and the amount of ascent, as well as the usual computer stuff like speed and time. At home I use Tracklogs, but I do a fair bit of cycling abroad and I don't have digital maps of Europe. I'm not at all interested in pulse, calories and all that fiddle-faddle and I'm only marginally interested in using it for route-finding - I prefer a small scale map. Whatever it is, it has to work in a downpour, unlike my Cateyes and VDOs.

Someone has suggested the Garmin Edge 500, but is there anything else I should look at?

I got my Dakota 20 delivered yesterday, it seems like quite a tough cookie and the web site says it's waterproof.

It's quite a small device, it can be fitted to handlebar mounts (but these are expensive, about £10 each), it only comes with a lanyard. Powered by AA batteries.

The Dakota 20 has an altimeter and electronic 3d compass, and can connect to HRM's and cadence sensors.

I'm guessing it will give the same kind of readouts as most Garmin devices on the Garmin connect website, I'll be giving it a test ride over the weekend.

Top Bottom