GPX file convert to garmin FIT file

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Hi
I am getting really confused (not difficult) with different file types for use with my garmin 800. I would like turn guidance when we ride the Trans Penine Trail. I have found a GPX map of the trail but am unsure if this preserves turn guidance when imported into my garmin. have tried to research this and found that TCX file type is best then GPX tracks. The file I have has a file extension of .gpx. I am unsure if this is a GPX route or track. It does contain some 400 plus waypoints when I import it into garmin basecamp.

With just this file will I get turn navigation between these waypoints? I am assuming I will and if that is the case I am not sure how anyother format would be better. I am new to this style of navigation. I have succesfully drawn routes on Garmin Connect and uploaded them to my device and followed them. But I have never tried to use a downloaded file that I did not make.

Dear mods, I was not sure if touring or know how was the best place to ask this so please move as you see best.

Thanks all and please be gentle with me.

D

Deleted member 23692

It all depends on if the gpx has been saved as a route or a track - A track is a plot of where you've been and normally the GPS won't give you route data as it assumed you know where you were going at the time. A route is where you're going, and the GPS will help you navigate it. Unless the waypoints are a separate file they will just be part of the route /track file that gives an instruction to alter the direction of a straight line and is what a device bases directions on (assuming it's a route)

I work with GPS/GIS and have downloaded numerous gpx of the web and there seems to be no and and fast rule as to whether they are route or track. If you want I can take a look at the file convert it to a route (if needs be) and makes sure it reads the correct direction for you

Top Bottom