Granny hits 28mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well done! I'm a complete chicken on two wheels, I think my max speed downhill ever was 29mph, so you'll beat me pretty soon!

Mr Phoebus

Cathryn said:
If I end up in hospital, I shall expect flowers from everyone on the forum!!
How about a nice bunch of speedwell?

Blonde

Hurrah for you! Do you use the drops? I know you might not yet, but when decending I always feel safer on them, rather than using the hoods, as it makes your centre of gravity lower (which is a *good thing* on a descent and also helps with getting round bends) as well as making your braking more powerful and easier to do. Your hands are closer to the brake levers and the leverage is also greater, meaning the braking is more efficient, which means you're more in control of the brakes when using the drops rather than the hoods on desents. If you don't find it comfortable to use the drops and feel you cant see the road so well, I'd suggest that the bars may be too low, or not a shallow enough drop for you. You can change this by raising the stem, if the fork height allows it, or by investing in a shallow drop bar. Hurrah and well done, again on getting over your initial nerves!

Congrats Cathyrn,

I'd agree with Blonde about the drops. My previous best on a Hybrid was 39.6mph but that was an exception, I usually chicken out at around 25-30 depending on my mood and the hill. I got a road bike earlier this year and found my max increased a fair bit.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm still too scared to go on the drops. I tried but it freaked me out a bit which is ironic as I know it'll make me feel safer braking. What I found tricky is actually getting down on the drops and then back up again safely. I found I had to do it hand by hand, which didn't feel very safe. Am I missing something ridiculously easy??

monnet

Guru
Just keep practising. As you get more confident at speed you'll get more confident with your bike (and vice versa). Maybe practise on the flat on a quiet road. With time it'll come - just like breaking the 30 mark.

Keep cycling, keep enjoying it and don't worry about the things you feel you can't do. Chances are that one day you'll just do it wothout thinking and then wonder why you were worried in the first place.

wafflycat

Cathryn said:
Thanks for the encouragement everyone!! It was fun!!!! 30mph on next ride, I promise ;) If I end up in hospital, I shall expect flowers from everyone on the forum!!

Well done you. The fastest I've ever done downhill was on a long, gently winding downhill. I looked at my computer & it was reading 42mph. I knew I had beetter not need to brake quickly...

Top Bottom