Gravel bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Was almost decided on purchasing a hybrid bike (Boardman HYB 8.8) however have since come across gravel/adventure bikes (Boardman ADV 9.0). More expensive but seems to be better spec'd and a more all rounded bike which will be better on and off road. I think this would be an ideal first bike. My only concern are the drop bars. I understand I need to ride the bikes and see which one I like but how long would it take me to get used to drop bars and do they eventually offer the same control especially if riding slow / on pavements?

https://99spokes.com/en-GB/compare?bikes=boardman-adv-9.0-2021,boardman-hyb-8.8-2021

Thank you in advance.

I don't know this bike but I think you have answered your own question to a large extent. Gravel bikes are very, very flexible in their potential uses and you will get more from this than the hybrid.

As for the drops? I rode them in my early 20s and then stopped cycling for perhaps 10 years. When I returned to cycling I bought a hybrid as the main use was to take my kids riding. I remember being quite concerned over making the transition some years later back to a road bike and drops. It only took 2-3 rides to feel perfectly confident.

Additional brake levers have been mentioned. I had some fitted perhaps 15+ years ago following an accident which for a while prevented me from using the brifters. When I was able to use the brifters again it took me a while to get used to this, i would be wary of fitting them.

Top Bottom