Gravel Wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingspirit

Hi All,
Could you please advise not to expensive 700c wheelset with quite hubs! Most of the wheels are horribly noisy, cannot find any quite wheels.
Cheers

I quite like the noisy hubs - alerts walkers to you on the trails. My Hunt wheels aren't too noisy - but I've been riding my Reynolds wheels this month that are extremely loud so my perspective may be skewed.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Might be able to quieten down the exisiting ones with a bit of grease..

Got on my Genesis recently after a bit of a break and the first thing that struck me as how bloody noisey the hub is - would much prefer to coast silently..

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi All,
Could you please advise not to expensive 700c wheelset with quite hubs! Most of the wheels are horribly noisy, cannot find any quite wheels.
Cheers

Apparently Shimano hubs are quiet(er). Spacycles wheel builder should be able to advise, give them a call (don’t email) or visit in person, Their prices start around £250, build around a month usually.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m10b0s178p0/Wheels/Handbuilt-Wheelsets-(700c)

what hubs do you have currently?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hi All,
Cheers

Do you want them quite quiet or quite noisy? :okay:

Seriously a bit of noise is good for offroad / shared paths where you are more likely to encounter walkers. If you want to turn the noise off, then pedal, it only make a noise when you freewheel. You should be pedalling most of the time anyway.

and yes Spa is as good a choice as any to get some decent value handbuilt wheels.

Do you want them quite quiet or quite noisy? :okay:
Good point :P
If you want to turn the noise off, then pedal, it only make a noise when you freewheel. You should be pedalling most of the time anyway.
Terrible point.
and yes Spa is as good a choice as any to get some decent value handbuilt wheels.
Good point - saved in the last yards!

And I'll repeat - Shimano are the best definitely quiet brand around, at reasonable cost.

For REALLY quiet, you can't beat circa 2000 Nexave with its silent freewheel. The technology is only in in their IGH hubs now, I understand.

Of course for ultimate silence the best thing is fixed gear! The only noise would be your knees clicking.

Top Bottom