Great Glen Way campsite?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
I'm planning to ride the Badgers Divide Trail, which follows the Great Glen Way for part of the route. I'll be arriving in Inverness by train late on Friday night. Does anyone know of a campsite close to the town centre where I can stick my tent up for the night?

I'm assuming you've looked at Google Maps?
Or cycle.travel will show up campsites listed on Archie's. Or look on Archies.
IOverlander will show up possible stealth camping spots.
Failing that, you could try Warmshowers either for a garden to pitch in or some local info.

Good luck!

T4tomo

Guru
I believe its Monday 26th when most of Scotland moves into level 3 and thus anything like that can open.

so you'd be looking at wild camping and breaching covid restriction on non essential travel.

you might want to delay a week

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Über Member
I'm assuming you've looked at Google Maps?
Or cycle.travel will show up campsites listed on Archie's. Or look on Archies.
IOverlander will show up possible stealth camping spots.
Failing that, you could try Warmshowers either for a garden to pitch in or some local info.

Good luck!

No luck so far, there was a very small place which allowed tents down by the boat yard but I can't find anything on line. I suspect it's shut down. There's an Eco - Friendly campsite 9 miles out of town but on my route. It may be Eco - Friendly, but apparently it's not single bloke friendly. Looks like I'll just cycle away from the houses and stealth camp.

Initially I was planning on a leisurely start Saturday morning, train Stirling to Inverness getting there around mid - afternoon. That would have given me plenty of time to clear the town and find somewhere to pitch. Only at weekends Scot rail doesn't run trains on that route it's a replacement bus service, which doesn't take bikes. Which means either a mad rush after work Friday to arrive in Inverness around 22.00, not ideal. Or waiting till Monday. C'est la vie

Yeah, a 22:00 arrival is tricky. And on a Friday night.
Have you thought about AirBnB?
Or check the likes of Booking.com - sometimes they have deals close (or the day before) the date. After a day's work it may be worth the expense?

Failing that, Warmshowers (sign up fee required if not already a member) may be of help or a local scouting organisation even.

Anything to be said for a half day at work?^_^

HelenD123

Guru
After inspiration from Cathryn's (almost) tour try Premier Inn. They look to have rooms from £40 and are known to be cycle friendly. Worth a look at other sites too.

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Über Member
Thanks, I've decided to put off starting until the following Monday. That way I'll arrive in Inverness at 13.30 and can just peddle away. I'll still have seven days, more than enough to do the route. Just praying for dry weather now.

Top Bottom