Great Kent Ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I have not done any event riding or ridden in big groups before and I may well have just committed to the Sevenoaks tour of Kent ride in September (although unsure about whether to do the 80 or 140km course yet) and this seems quite a serious affair so I was looking at doing the long loop of this http://www.bike-events.com/Ride.aspx?id=212 as a bit of a warm up and to get some event experience.

Has anyone done this before? If so whats it like? I can kind of invisage the route but not the style (i.e. is it a slow charity ride or mixed paces?).

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
The link isn't working Wigsie. Says "Service Unavailable".

If you fancy a group ride - some of us are doing one next Sunday... couple of chaps coming across from Kent through South London first to meet me at Clapham. Will be starting the ride proper at Watford but we have a couple of more collections to do on the way. We ride from Clapham - Kew - Windsor - Watford. Then a nice 50 miler loop as per the thread in the Rides forum here.

Cheers
SD

millypops82

If i was back in my natural habitat of south london would have tried to crash the party!

Bristol too far for you SD?!

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Bloody charity websites.... looks like the server is down... Its basically a charity organised event for the oast trust. Starts in Ashford and loops down to New Romney along to Rye and up to Tenderden then via rare breeds centre and back to Ashford.

It seems like quite a big affair and I thought it may be a good intro to these sort of events. Thanks for the invite I was kind of hoping it wouldnt be too speedy and the description of "aunty helens routes without the flat bits" is maybe a little too much for a first time 50, maybe in a few more weeks as only been back on the bike 4 days after 2 months out and 50 hilly miles may wipe me out! excuses excuses ;):blush::becool:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
It best not be too hilly! I am not known for my climbing abilities on these rides :becool:
Oh well, if you have a change of heart feel free to come along - more the merrier :sad:

Millypops, lol... Bristol is out of my range - although perhaps not these range of some others who ride on these events! Mentioning no names *cough Mouseketeers* :santa:
Next time you're in the London vacinity check the rides forum for London & Home Counties CC Rides... we have been trying to have 'em the first weekend of the month and it's been working out well, since Dec last year! Although I have missed the past 3 or 4 :mrpig:;)

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
So what sort of speeds are maintained over the 50 on the average CC ride? or do they usually break up into a few different groups?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
On the ones I have done the overall avg has been a mere 11 mph (ish). some folks cruise faster than other and every so often we stop and regroup - they are social rides afterall ;)

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
*Deep sigh* ok I was invisaging high teens at a bare minimum. much more appealing!

May well have to consult my master the good lady wife as she organises our weekends.

firemansimon

Hi Wigsie

I'm entering the 50miler and this will be my first group ride but will try and get a good time, should have an info pack coming soon and I can share it with you on this forum.

Simon

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Cheers Simon,

Just waiting tohear back from my folks as I think we may be supposed to be going to theirs for a BBQ or some family thing.... :biggrin:

Although its 2 weeks away, I think I may have a 'sore throat' coming on. :ohmy:

Top Bottom