Green roofs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
I have a large flat roof atop the extension to the rear of my property and it has started to bug me a little as it is a big unused waste of valuable space.

I did think about putting some decking up there and railings around the outside and maybe a little conservatory so that my daughter could have a play room (it is right outside her window) and a little outside area to play in. The missus has trampled all over that idea though due to her, unwarranted IMO, safety fears.

I have now started to toy with the idea of turning it into one of these green roofs, maybe grow some flowers or vegetables up there.

Anyone got any experience in this area or any ideas? Know of any good companies or urls?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't see why you couldn't do something with it - you may need it inspecting for strength, but why not. I've seen people do it, and it would be really pleasant in summer, sitting out on the 'balcony' !!

papercorn2000

Yeah, that can be really heavy, you may need to see about strengthening the supports, otherwise, seems a top idea.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
it won't be may need to, it will be will need to.

the builders who built it will have done so for some plywood and some roofing felt.

and you want a foot of soil on top?

the strengthening required would be expensive, how much do you want some plants?

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
hubgearfreak said:
it won't be may need to, it will be will need to.

the builders who built it will have done so for some plywood and some roofing felt.

and you want a foot of soil on top?

the strengthening required would be expensive, how much do you want some plants?

Hmm, looks like it might be a bit more involved than I'd hoped! :rolleyes:

What kind of cost do you think we are talking about here?

But of course, it is the extra space rather than the plants that might make it worth any outlay.

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
Fnaar said:
Cover it in solar panels.... ?

What for? :sad:

Can you walk on them? Nope
Can you plant stuff on them? Nope
Can I send the little'un out to play on them? Nope

Can I spend tens of thousands of pounds on a system that will power one PC in mid summer until a cloud goes by at which point the TV turns itself off? Yes

:rolleyes::laugh::tongue::laugh:

U

User482

Green roofs are a nice idea, and can be done fairly cheaply. You've no chance of growing veg though as the soil will be very thin - think succulents, grasses and sedum instead. Plenty of stuff on the web about them...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
domtyler said:
What for? :biggrin:

Can you walk on them? Nope
Can you plant stuff on them? Nope
Can I send the little'un out to play on them? Nope

Can I spend tens of thousands of pounds on a system that will power one PC in mid summer until a cloud goes by at which point the TV turns itself off? Yes

:ohmy::laugh::ohmy::laugh:
Fair enough... why not paint something on it that'll eventually make it onto google earth?:biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You're not going to need a depth of soil for sedums, sempervivums etc as User482 says. The weight shouldn't be a big issue considering 2 or 3 builders can stroll around on it when they're roofing it.

Top Bottom