Greenhouse frame - scrap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With my shoulder seeming OK now, I'm going to finally get the shed base (most prob hardcore/sand-cement/slabs) going, and I've part dismantled the greenhouse, well, removed half the glass. Should I scrap the aluminium frame and get £20-40, or freecycle it? The thing is I'm not sure if anyone's going to have glass panes cut specially and there are quite a few broken.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Leave it outside your local allotment saturday morning it'll be gone by saturday lunch.

OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru
I checked a local scrap merch, and they said it'd be £450/1000kg for the Aluminium, if it wasn't contaminated with iron (which probably means it is...) I've no idea how much the frame weighs, except that someone said it'd be £20-40 ish. I suppose if I stick an ad up, I guess it gives someone the chance to take away the good glass and fixings too. I notice that most new greenhouses are polycarb not glass.

Andy

What dan_bo said: Someone will be very pleased with it. If you can leave it outside the top gate of Great South allotments this afternoon, I can guarantee it'll be gone very quickly.

Failing that, freecycle it.

OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru
Twenty Inch said:
What dan_bo said: Someone will be very pleased with it. If you can leave it outside the top gate of Great South allotments this afternoon, I can guarantee it'll be gone very quickly.

Failing that, freecycle it.

AFAIA the allotments round here don't allow greenhouses (though I guess people at the allotments are more likely to use it at home - is what may be you're getting at). Knowing OCC I'd probably get done for fly tipping. :laugh:

zacklaws

Guru
If its a bog standard greenhouse, usually measured in mulitples of 2' ie 8' x 4', 6' x 4', then glass is easily available in 2' x 2' panes.

But you could do what my neighbour did, just cladded it over with wood to make a shed, he even left the glass in.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think you'll find folk will come and dismantle it for you......

I've got my dad's old greenhouse...... replaced a fair few panels, but it's easy to get the stuff cut at a window place !

Top Bottom