Greetings 2 wheelers from East London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gooner Mad Dog

Hi, just returned to biking to work for financial reasons mainly Walthamstow to Big Ben 10.7miles ( 52-58mins ) twice daily. I try and do it most days if hungover take the souless tube or going to Arsenal evening match. I enjoy it now after experimenting several dangerous routes now have found a decent commute route, it does have its "danger pinch points" anyway its benefits outweigh the potential risks.
:hello:
Keep safe and enjoy

Steve

Hello GMD and welcome to CC from a Yiddo (from Brentwood) in Norway. :tongue:

Sounds like a fun commute, but not my cup of tea, that: all that traffic and so many nutters!

Keep an eye out for CC rides in and around the south east, if that interests you.

subaqua

What’s the point
wots a walthamstow boy doin being a gooner. should be a yiddo or an Os fan :whistle:

whats your route in ??

oh and welcome to the forum from another resident of the crappest borough in London

OP
OP
Gooner Mad Dog

Gooner Mad Dog

Hi both been to Oslo by the way expensive but very nice from what I recall. In fact had to resort to taking cans of beer ashore drinking them in street before going into a bar to keep costs down.

Been to Orient games but been a gooner since I was 7 now 47. Thing is I grew up in Morecambe, Lancs and everyone supported Liverpool, Leeds, Man City, united I innocently asked my dad in kitchen as was getting interested in football, how come there are no teams from London? he advised me there were Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham, Fulham erm the Gunners etc er what was that one? Gunners mmm I was passionate about pirate films you know Saturday afternoon swahbucklers etc and was sold! First ever match gooner game 7th December 1974 Carlisle United v Arsenal and Carlisle won 2-1!

As for my route in Lea Bridge Rd>Downs Park>Essex Rd>St Johns Street>Smithfield meat market>Farringdon Rd to Blackfriars then along embankment ....

Dan B

Disengaged member
As for my route in Lea Bridge Rd>Downs Park>Essex Rd>St Johns Street>Smithfield meat market>Farringdon Rd to Blackfriars then along embankment ....
Don't know if it'd be a better route or not, but have you tried going Downs Park -> Queensbridge Road down to Hackney Rd then in along Old St?. I can't say what Queensbridge Road is like during rush hour (though it almost certainly beats the A10), but the cyclists outnumber car drivers on Old St so that stretch is usually pretty civilised

I used to commute Leytonstone to Old St and would usually take the A106 (Eastway) then go through Victoria Part - but that was in pre-Olympic days and every time I go out that way nowadays they seem to have completely rearranged one or more junctions

martint235

Dog on a bike
wave.gif

If you're interested in weekend rides, check out the informal rides forum. There's the Friday Night Ride to the Coast which has it's own website (here). There's also the regular Sunday ride that hasn't been as regular as it should be for some time (here). Then there's the Rides for Food, the November edition of which will be to the Chilterns (here).

OP
OP
Gooner Mad Dog

Gooner Mad Dog

Don't know if it'd be a better route or not, but have you tried going Downs Park -> Queensbridge Road down to Hackney Rd then in along Old St?. I can't say what Queensbridge Road is like during rush hour (though it almost certainly beats the A10), but the cyclists outnumber car drivers on Old St so that stretch is usually pretty civilised

I used to commute Leytonstone to Old St and would usually take the A106 (Eastway) then go through Victoria Part - but that was in pre-Olympic days and every time I go out that way nowadays they seem to have completely rearranged one or more junctions

Yes done that my route is far better, Queensbridge Rd is fine but Old Street a nightmare , I don't do down Stokie High Rd its through park onto Downs Pk Rd, accross A10 at Nando's past the Peasant Pub no cars/traffic til you get to Essex Rd, Islington, thanks for input, sharing tips its what its all about I guess.

MrMing

wots a walthamstow boy doin being a gooner. should be a yiddo or an Os fan :whistle:

whats your route in ??

oh and welcome to the forum from another resident of the crappest borough in London

I am gooner too i love way they play i supported them longg time since i was bout 5 yers old longg time hah?

subaqua

What’s the point

its calmed down a bit now at lea interchange so its a lot easier. apart from alexandra road where they "upgraded" the road to give us a less safe space to ride in the quest for cycle lane miles.

Top Bottom