Greetings from Godmanchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cardiac

Über Member
Just to say Hi. Returning to cycling after a 30 year break with the basic aim of getting fit again. Located in Godmanchester, near Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire.

According to this thread, I just bought a Ferrari (road bike). Actually Ferrari is probably over stating things - perhaps a more of an Alfa Romeo (not so quick and probably won't last as long...). And (shock, horror) I got it from Halfords. It's a Carrera Vanquish. Having decided to get a bit fitter after some heart surgery in 2009 I decided that to get back on a road bike after some 30 years would be a good plan, and the reviews, spec and pricing of that model was about right for me. I liked the Tiagra levers in particular over any of the cheaper variants and started looking. I had bought a cheap second-hand bike (Dawes Giro 200) the previous year and used that to find out what I really wanted in a bike.

This is where it gets interesting. Halfords recently lowered the price for a while (it went down to £499 on their web site). I am based near Huntingdon and the local store didn't have one. But since I travel I looked up where the stock was and found one in Grantham up the A1. What swung me (contrary to expectations) was the helpfulness and enthusiasm of the guy in the Grantham store - and he gave me the web price despite buying in the store. So far so good. I decided to assemble myself (since I would have had to dismantle to get it in the car). Further, as the guy hauled the box out of their stock room he said "It's a 2008 model - but it's the same colour and everything..." That was OK. What I did not realise until I got the thing home was that the 2008 model was built before the pound fell against the dollar. So my bike doesn't have Shimano Tiagra and Sora parts - it has 105 levers and changers, and it's the 20 speed version rather than the usual 18. Bingo! Needless to say I am very chuffed. Assembly and set up was pretty straightforward. I have added some Shimano SPD pedals since the standard fit items are not that great and am now starting to enjoy the bike.

Of course, I could have gone to my local (Richardsons in Huntingdon) but I really liked the Vanquish... Richardsons are good for parts, accessories, helpful advice, etc. and am getting to know them as well.

Will be back when I have some more time, questions, etc.

Cheers,

Les.

Canardly

Veteran
Hello cardiac I hope you enjoy your cycling. You are not far from a really rather good cycling club in st Ives.

Richardsons!

I spent much of my childhood and a lot of pocket money in their St Ives shop!

Still nip in for a nostalgic look around when I go home.

Welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
Cardiac

Cardiac

Über Member
Thanks for the welcome! Haven't been out this week - too windy & wet around here. Hoping for another good weekend though.

@Canardly: I have thought about the St Ives club - just need to get the fitness up a notch first - their average runs are about six times further than my current long runs, but I'll get there.

Top Bottom