Greetings from Northampton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amheirchion

Hello, I'm new here, obviously. I found this site through a post on bikeforums and thought I'd come over and see what was what.

I'm a student studying Conservation and Land Management on my final year of a BSc. I recently moved to Northampton for the course, and will be moving into my new flat at the weekend, I can't wait, it even has a brick shed perfect for mine and my ladies bikes.

Not really a lot to say, so I'll leave off as I started with a hello.

Midnight

Hi Amheirchion, and Welcome to the forum :hello:

I'm just doing some research in to early cycling history in Northampton, especially racing on the old race course during the 1880's and W Grose - founder of the car dealership - who was a professional rider during the Penny Farthing era.

ThePainInSpain

I'm just doing some research in to early cycling history in Northampton, especially racing on the old race course during the 1880's and W Grose - founder of the car dealership - who was a professional rider during the Penny Farthing era.

My late father was a member of the Irchester Wheelers in the 1930's. Not only did they do road racing, but also took part in local carnivals on 'funny bikes' and Penny Farthings.

OP
OP
Amheirchion

Amheirchion

Cheers for the welcomes.
Hilldodger, any idea if the race course you refer to is the one that's is now the park by the central University campus? Bit of a random question I guess, but I'd been wondering about the name of the park, I'd guess it was a horse race track from looking at it, but not fully sure. Maybe tomorrow I'll take a ride over and actually read one of the information signs.

darkstar

I'm from a village close to Northampton, though spend half the year away at uni. Love the area, as I was born and bought up there, nice (though flat) cycling. I go back every other weekend for Saints matches. How are you finding the town itself? Oh, and welcome to the forums.

OP
OP
Amheirchion

Amheirchion

I've not had much time or money to explore the town much. From what I have seen though it is a nicer place than my old town, but that isn't hard. ;)
I also quite like the parks I have visited, they're a refreshing change, and fairly new to me as I'm used to town parks being either football fields, play grounds or dog turd minefields, rather than simply green space.
The traffic doesn't seem to be too bad either, I've not had any issues over the last month with drivers, more the opposite I even had a white van stay well back and let me stay ahead of him when I slowed from 30 to about 10 as I lost momentum as there wasn't long until we hit the t-junction. I still get paranoid in the school traffic though on the way to college, but leaving early enough deals with that issue.

Cheers for the welcomes.
Hilldodger, any idea if the race course you refer to is the one that's is now the park by the central University campus? Bit of a random question I guess, but I'd been wondering about the name of the park, I'd guess it was a horse race track from looking at it, but not fully sure. Maybe tomorrow I'll take a ride over and actually read one of the information signs.

Yes, that's the one and they also used it for public hangings but had to stop when the crowds became too large!

I doubt if the information boards will say anything about cycle racing but that is something I'll talk to the council about one day.

OP
OP
Amheirchion

Amheirchion

Had a look at the information board today on the way back from town, nothing on there at all about it being a race course, it mainly talks about it being the largest outdoor sports centre type thing in the country, and how in WW2 it was used as a space to build barracks along with the loss of the surrounding wrought iron fence at the same time.

Thanks for the new welcomes as well.

Top Bottom