Grizzle pants/trouser kickstarter promotion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
This advert turned up on Twitter. I am familiar with kickstarter, you give them money and with any luck you might get the product sometime later! These trousers seem ideal for commuting to work on a bicycle. However there is the question of the high price. Their marketing and advertising folk have clearly been working hard but is the product that special and different? Is there something similar but with a more realistic price and better availability? See link below.

Grizzle kickstarter promotion

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You could probably get something better, cheaper and available now from Rohan https://www.rohan.co.uk/ (for example ... other suppliers are availabe)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
It's kickstarter. It's a rip off.

Kickstarter‘s a gamble certainly, but you need to go to Indiegogo for proper charlatan vs gullible action.

As for this one, they’re trousers 🤷‍♂️. If you’re lucky enough to ever receive your “reward”, you’ll still be liable for the additional import costs. A single pair will be below the duty threshold of £135 but will be liable for VAT, so add 20%, plus whatever extra random processing charges are added on by the courier robdogs. In my limited but bitter experience, let’s call that another 20%. In my head with retail exchange rates, let’s say £105 for a pair of nylon strides that may take a year to turn up, have no effective guarantee and almost certainly can’t be returned if they’re wrong or shoot.

Bargain!

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I think Kickstarter is good for some stuff - especially in the 'entertainment space' - board games, video games, comic books, etc. I.e. endeavours where the target customer base is niche and difficult to estimate. This may result in a company struggling to secure real investor confidence and push them to crowdfunding. Another area would be projects where the market is controlled by big companies - making it difficult for a start-up to punch through and again, scare away investors - pretty much anything technology, like smart watches.

You're talking about a pair of trousers. I find it a bit baffling how someone could say that they developed a revolutionary pair of trousers. The customers are well-defined and easily quantifiable and no one 'controls' the market. The page looks like a lot of marketing BS and appears to be taking advantage of FOMO - the fear of missing out - i.e. 'pre-order now to avoid disappointment' and 'grab it at this price, before it doubles'. I would personally steer away - but it's not my money.

Reminds me of a situation I had in a ski shop - where a salesman told me that a jumper I was trying on was constructed using 'spacesuit material, that NASA used to land on the Moon'. When I pressed him turned out he meant spandex :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
This post has given me an idea,and i really mean that.i have a pair of Regatta walking trousers that i have never thought about riding in doh numpty.i will give them a try out.

Top Bottom