GT Avalanche & Aggressor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

preet996

Hello all!

My first post!

I recently sold my mountain bike to upgrade to something a bit more fancy. I had a Cross bike - full suspension with disk brakes - but just abit heavy and it was wearing out and having issues so I got a service from my local shop in Glasgow and flogged it before I knew it'd have more issues.

I am looking for something a bit more fancy - durable, lighter and good fun. The guy at the shop showed me the GT Avalanche and said that'd be a good bike for me - lockable suspension means I can run it about town too. I sold my previous bike for £200 so I wasn't looking to add too much to that so when I found out it was £460 for the Avalanche, it made me think, but the design/colours etc grew on me and I like it!

Anyway - how is £460 for the price of a new GT Avalanche 3.0 2011 model with hydraulic disks?

Also - I've been checking gumtree all the time becasue I'd rather buy a GT second hand for like £250 or something and then get it serviced! But absolutely nothing! UNTIL I found an angressor for £600! Just wondering if it's worth buying that for maybe £450/500 if I can or something then could get that serviced - but I'm not sure on the differences - the bike looks similar so I like the design etc but since I don't even know the differences, I doubt I'd care if it was small things like better components etc. I do mountain bike and go on off-road tracks but I'm not like properly hardcore I just want something basic and durable but cool

Also - I've never had hydraulic brakes - I tested them at the shop and could feel the on/off type thing which was awesome - but are they REALLY worth it?! I think the GT Avalanche cable disk brakes made the bike like £60 cheaper or something I think...

Anyway I think I've been rambling - I just want an honest opinion and not someone from a shop trying to push me for a sale. Is the GT Avalanche a decent bike and are there any competitors I could seriously consider?

Look forward to your replies! :smile:

Preet

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Morning and welcome to the site. Have you checked out decathlon bikes yet. They are well priced and usually get decent reviews.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've got an Aggressor and it's a good bike for the money.

The Avalanche and Aggressor are (I believe) the same frame.
The Aggressor is sold exclusively through Halfords and has a different spec.

There are several models of each, with progressively better kit and associated higher price.
I got mine in one of Halfords frequent sales, I paid about 350 quid (the equivalent spec from Decathlon at the time was 450) I wouldn't have paid full whack but at 180 off it was a good deal.

The frames are excellent, not perhaps the lightest out there, but not bad at all, and very strong/rigid. Gears are basic Shimano 24spd but workmanlike and easy to replace/repair. Front Shock is a bit budget, but has lockout and pre-load and I've not broken it yet :smile:

The Aggressor has hydraulic brakes (Tektro Pro Comp) and they're pretty good. Relatively easy to setup and will stop you on a dime.Whether they're worth the extra 60quid over cable disks is down to you, personally I think if you're going to move away from V brakes (which are fine for anything other than really wet/muddy conditions) you may as well go straight to hydraulic and skip cable disks.

Other thing to watch is frame sizing. I'm right in the middle of medium/large frames. The medium fits me better for standover, but feels really cramped. The large is perilously close to being too high standover, but feels much better when I'm on. Having said this I've got short legs, and gorilla-like arms so YMMV. I would make sure I tried any bike for size before buying though.

The Avalanche and Aggressor XC2 (27speed) certainly do share frames and a lot of other components, so are very similiar indeed.
I have a 2009 Aggressor and the difference between the Avalanche and it, were small things such as one had the next model up rear mech, but the other had the next model up front mech etc.

Very solid bike with good spec for the price.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I've had a GT Avalanche for around 5 months now. Last years model for £100 less than retail.
Had a stem raiser fitted and bigger grips to try and alleviate pain in the wrists and pins n needles in the fingers due to the ride position being quite forward (maybe all mtb's are?) The lock out suspension locked out on me on a big downhill all by itself. Hasn't occured since so maybe i had moved it accidentally. It isn't the lightest bike but boy is it tough. It has been battered around the trails and still rides smoothly.
The hydraulic brakes are very good and i always feel secure downhill despite my weight.
Overall i am very pleased with the bike.

OP
OP
P

preet996

Hi all!

I usually shy away from forums because any new forum I've joined to ask a question, I never get a reply. I'm so pleased to see so much support from you all. Thank you! I've been reading all day from my phone but have chosen to wait to reply properly now! :smile:

"The Jogger" - I haven't come across decathlon before - I had a look at their bikes and they are well priced and similar in design and spec. None of the models jump out at me and for some reason I'm more attracted to the GT. Although perhaps this is consumerism and the guy at the shop saying, "Get the GT it's the best base model hard tail for you.." and that's stuck in my head...but maybe not!

"Kestevan" - Yeah I am a bit confused between the Agressor and the Avalanche. They do seem to have the same frame but I think the Agressor is a bit more expensive. I checked the halfords website and they do seem to have an Agressor which has been discontinued on sale. I'm still swaying more towards the Avalanche 3.0.

The Avalanche did feel quite heavy when I lifted it up at the shop actually. When I said it, the guy said, "Yeah but you don't want a light pissy thing - you want something that you can feel steady on! And it has quite a 'tight' frame so that might suit me!". It was the same weight as my full suspension bike! But the weight didn't put me off - how much do you need to life it, y'know?!

So I'm hearing that it has basic components but although not too bad ones - and they're all replaceble - it's an all round good steady bike and isn't like one you'd by from toys r us or tesco! - it'll last and I can throw it about. But just like any bike in that price range, those who have bikes worth over £1000 are gonna say that the components aren't THAT great or the forks aren't THAT good but I'm sure I'll be SOOO impressed with it because I've only been exposed to shite. :smile:

NOW! - The poor uni student asks the biggest question! PRICE! ....I'm pretty much set on paying £560 although I didn't really have that price in my head at the moment - this is for the brand new 2011 model. I suppose I just really like the design/looks and feel. Maybe next time if I ask to ride it and then I will either be a yes or a no.I can't find anything on gumtree though!! I certainly couldn't build a bike by myself so I'm not wanting to buy online - and I've read stuff about buying GT online expecting disk breaks and getting V brakes and stuff so I don't want that. Also, the shop would do all the tweeking after I use it after a month etc.

What dya all think?! Shall I take the plunge or shall I be patient and be on the lookout for something second hand or another model?

Thank you! :smile:

OP
OP
P

preet996

Oh no way! I'm not that patient! It's the summer holidays man! I want something now to enjoy for the summer before I go back for my final year. :smile:

Thanks all for your advice. I think I just wanted a bit of a pat on the back to say yeah go for it or a few messages saying NO DON'T DO IT!

I have the pat on my back - if I can find a deal, great, otherwise, never mind!

Thanks all!

Apart from the sustrans national cycle network, what other maps do you use to find some good routes? I downloaded the app on my ipod touch which is good but I can't really use it on the go because I don't have data although I can save maps. I have google maps on my phone but it doesn't show the routes...I live in Glasgow, Scotland...

Top Bottom