Guidance please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Candy

What is the correct protocol for waiting in traffic or at lights in terms of road positioning?

I tend to be about a cycle lanes width away from the kerb, just so that I have room to move if cars overtake me too closely when we move off etc. However I have found a large number of cyclists then shoot up the inside of me, which isn't too bad when I'm stationary (I don't tend to go up the inside of large vehicles), but when I'm moving off it can be a bit disconcerting if I havn't heard them coming. I just worry that I'm going to have someone off their bike because I haven't seen/heard them.

This makes it sound like I sit in the middle of the road, but it really isn't a large space, the issue is that if I don't leave that space and I sit on the kerb I then get tutted at by all those cyclists that would like to ride down the inside of the lorry/bus/coach that I have chosen not to and who then have to go around me instead.

This doesn't read very well but hopefully someone will get the gist!

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I will always pull into the middle of the lane at lights. As we move off and clear the junction and any pinch points i will then move back to secondary. If you make it an obvious movement drivers tend to understand what you have just done and why.
Another thing i've started to do is to leave a car's length gap in front of me, it allows you to start moving at the same time as the car in front of the car in front of you. By the time the car in front starts moving you are already up to speed, sounds obvious but makes a big difference.
There are very few other cyclists and no ASLs on my commute so i suppose it's quite easy.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I sit in the middle of the road, myself. If cyclists undertake me, especially up the inside of a vehicle that I wouldn't undertake, more stupids to them.

martint235

Dog on a bike
However I have found a large number of cyclists then shoot up the inside of me, which isn't too bad when I'm stationary (I don't tend to go up the inside of large vehicles), but when I'm moving off it can be a bit disconcerting if I havn't heard them coming. I just worry that I'm going to have someone off their bike because I haven't seen/heard them.

This makes it sound like I sit in the middle of the road, but it really isn't a large space, the issue is that if I don't leave that space and I sit on the kerb I then get tutted at by all those cyclists that would like to ride down the inside of the lorry/bus/coach that I have chosen not to and who then have to go around me instead.

This doesn't read very well but hopefully someone will get the gist!

If you're about 3 or 4 foot away from the kerb and a fellow cyclist undertakes you, particularly at speed then I'd question their judgment. I certainly wouldn't be worried about having them off their bike, it's their risk and they are endangering you so forget any sense of guilt.

I often stop a couple of cars back at lights and unlike you I often stop next to the kerb. If any cyclist comes up behind me and starts tutting I find "But the light is red, where exactly are you planning on going?" ends the conversation.

It sounds to me like you are doing exactly what you should be doing: taking the room you feel you need to be safe and not taking risks going down the sides of vehicles at lights. Give yourself a pat on the back, quit worrying what other people think or do (that's their problem) and enjoy your cycling.

All this is obviously just my opinion. :biggrin:

Can't see as you're doing anything wrong Candy: carry on as you are! But there isn't a single answer of course: it depends on which way you want to go, the layout of the junction, the types of other vehicles waiting there and the direction they want to take, etc. etc...

Oh - and the other cyclists. Ironic isn't it: we all pray for there to be "more of us" on the roads, putting faith in the "safety in numbers" principle. But when a lot of cyclists suddenly appear at one spot, and they all behave .... badly, then we have problems. I've been there, and I'm sure most others here have...

I sit in the middle of the road, myself. If cyclists undertake me, especially up the inside of a vehicle that I wouldn't undertake, more stupids to them.

:ohmy:

BM!!! What were you thinking! How many times have I told off the muppets that abuse me on youtube! It's not the middle of the road, it's middle of the lane! Tsk, tsk. :thumbsup:

Jezston

Über Member
If there's a left turn, even if I'm taking it, I'd sit in the middle, then go secondary after the junction.

Jezston

Über Member
upsidedown said:
I like that. I think ill try it.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I have to say that while I can't see that you're doing anything wrong - and certainly you're not to blame if any twat decides to overtake you on the inside - I personally would tend to stop close enough to the kerb to make it impossible for anyone to even try. Can't say I've ever had problems with cars overtaking too close when taking off. Idiot cyclists are more of a hazard, I'd say.

Top Bottom