Guidance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
Hi I am currently on a Hybrid, but I am looking to take the plunge and get a drop bar bike in the future, just need to fill the new bike coffer a little more.

I am able to complete 20-25 mile rides now on my hybrid, but I am looking to go longer/faster so I don't want to replace my hybrid for a drop bar entry version as such I would like to take a small step up.

I am not just doing flat rides, and try and mix my routes with some flat sections with some decent climbs.

My current bike is a Boardman Hybrid comp nothing flash I know, I have been checking Ebay to see whats out there, I am basically just window shopping at the moment when I found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Spec...926964?hash=item3d25c8e174:g:SdkAAOSw4shX2rt0

I think it's an entry level bike still? the other bike I had been looking at is the Merida Ride 300 but this would be from new unless I find a close good deal on ebay etc

So one of my questions would be what would I be looking for gearing wise?

Also if I go for a bike online what are the pitfalls I need to watch for? I am leaning more towards my LBS and new as they have done a fantastic job helping me with my current bike, but it seemed insane to ignore the potential good deals from ebay etc.

Ajax Bay

Guru
https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/bike-discussions-and-buying-advice-what-bike.39/
Edit @Johnno260 : Getting the correct size is more important than the gears, which will be fine. The one you linked to has 3 x 8 and the range (top to bottom) will be more than you need.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
That bike looks little used. Happily the owner had the sense to leave the size label on it; which makes it easier to sell. It would make an excellent entry-level bike as long as you don't get sucked into the auction and end up paying too much for it.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
cheers for all the advise so far, I have added myself to all the LBS mailing lists for deals etc as well.

One has a specialized Allez E5 that looks ok, nice price as well, I will keep an eye on their website.

Top Bottom