guide dogs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Elmer Fudd said:
My Uncle is blind, He's just had to give up "Poppsy" as she is past retirement age. He is gutted, the guide dog has been taken off him but she's not dead yet. He gets a new one in three weeks time. But imagine having your dog taken away from you because it was " past its prime".

Luckily for my uncle ( in a way ) the people who have taken Poppsy on live local so he can keep in touch ( he had her for eight years )

That's a bit nasty of you Elmer, leaving a thread hanging on, let's see, at least two sentimental notes, trying to make everyone else feel guilty

bonj2

Big Bren said:
In the real world, everyone does; raising awareness of disability issues is a way of breaking down barriers and removing stigma and helps disabled people integrate into the workplace. It should also help to stop idiots like you saying things like
but why is a company paying for this? It defies sense.

bonj2

Elmer Fudd said:
My Uncle is blind, He's just had to give up "Poppsy" as she is past retirement age. He is gutted, the guide dog has been taken off him but she's not dead yet. He gets a new one in three weeks time. But imagine having your dog taken away from you because it was " past its prime".

Luckily for my uncle ( in a way ) the people who have taken Poppsy on live local so he can keep in touch ( he had her for eight years )

aaah! why can't he keep her anyway and get a new guide dog? then he'll just have two dogs?

gbb

Legendary Member
KitsuneAndy said:
A guy in our office has a Guide Dog and yeah, he's probably the fastest walker in the place :rolleyes:

He's one of our programmers, I really want to know how he does the job, but can't bring myself to ask him.

I'm assuming he has some sort of text to voice program and uses headphones. Or something that converts the text on the screen to braille, but I'm not even sure they exist.[/QUOTE]

No, he probably does what my dad does.....
Blind for 10 years, he still writes poetry on his typewriter.. Hes got knobs of bluetack and glued bits all over his typewriter....it looks a right fkin disaster. :biggrin::biggrin:

Mind i hope your programmer is faster than me dad...it takes him 1/2 a day to write a page. Actually, it only takes 20 minutes, but hes got to do it 5 times at least to get it right...

papercorn2000

bonj said:
aaah! why can't he keep her anyway and get a new guide dog? then he'll just have two dogs?

Would YOU like to have to stay on at YOUR work after you had retired? Would YOU like to have to live with your boss? (:biggrin:)

papercorn2000

It makes perfect sense. Plenty of people, and you really don't have to look far for a good example Bonj, are ignorant. And prejudiced because of their ignorance. A bit of knowledge goes a long way to reducing this.

Saying that though, some people don't seem to have the ability to learn from what they are told. :biggrin:

It does no harm for people to understand what it's like for the other half. Taking handicapped kids out into the community, the vast majority of people are great and have no problem however a nasty minority will make comments that show them up as ignorant, small-minded and petty.

bonj2

It makes perfect sense. Plenty of people, and you really don't have to look far for a good example Bonj, are ignorant. And prejudiced because of their ignorance. A bit of knowledge goes a long way to reducing this.

Saying that though, some people don't seem to have the ability to learn from what they are told. :biggrin:

yes, granted it's better not to be ignorant, but why is their company paying for them to become less ignorant, in this specific way? Why is it an advantage to their company for them to be more aware of blind people and what it's like to be a blind person?
I can see the logic behind, for instance, sending them on an a "Advanced MS Excel" or "How to fix your computer" or even "Ergonomics and how to maintain a healthy posture at your desk" course, because they make them more productive to the company. But why does the company gain from sending them on these 'awareness' days? A lot of people are unfit, but they don't send them on exercises one day a week or an hour a day, do they?

Abitrary

bonj said:
Just to clear something up, they're just deaf, they're not deaf offenders? :biggrin:

It's weird that I can spin off stuff like quite intelligent poetry, but the minute I think about blind or deaf people I get it all the wrong way round. But now I think about it I don't reckon I'm alone

For example, if you see a bloke in black glasses with a labrador, could it not just be someone with a hangover training a deaf dog over situations where it can't hear the traffic coming?

bonj2

Abitrary said:
It's weird that I can spin off stuff like quite intelligent poetry, but the minute I think about blind or deaf people I get it all the wrong way round. But now I think about it I don't reckon I'm alone

For example, if you see a bloke in black glasses with a labrador, could it not just be someone with a hangover training a deaf dog over situations where it can't hear the traffic coming?

could be.

on another note, i used to work somewhere where there was a deaf person. the real sad thing is that the language barrier is the opposite way to what you'd think it would be! i.e. he can tell exactly what people are saying to him fine, but he had difficulty making himself understood to other people. This is because he was perfect at lip reading, but his deafness meant there was no feedback loop to keep his speech in check so his voice was all out of goose.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
i don't think my company paid for it Bonj. i think it was a volunteer thing for them to come in and get a bit of dosh for the charidee. They had very big collecting tins!

Top Bottom