Guided Busway attacks. Around Addenbrookes, Cambridge.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a warning to anyone that cycles/jogs/walks around there especially as soon as it starts getting dark, there have been a few reports of a group of 4-5 teenage lads (sometimes on bikes/scooters themselves) harassing and beating cyclists along that route. Which has ranged from spitting, trying to knock people of their bike to demanding a wallet after punches were thrown.
It sounded like, from the descriptions, it was mostly happening along an open stretch around the hill/road over the guided busway.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
That's my commute and my time of day but I've not noticed anything out of the ordinary. How long has this been going on for do you know?

OP
OP
semislickstick
Incidents have been popping up in the last two weeks or so. (although it has been mentioned it's an on going problem in that area) Sounds like they wait for a quiet moment to pick on someone?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The Bristol-Bath railway path has been like this for years. Around Staple Hill Tunnel is bandit country.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
TBH this isn't specific to Cambridge. We have had reports of similar in Manchester on the Fallowfield Loop for years.

I have used the track many times and not had any problems, but I am a big, ugly, angry, mildly frightening male. Perhaps others are not so fortunate.

icowden

Veteran
I have used the track many times and not had any problems, but I am a big, ugly, angry, mildly frightening male. Perhaps others are not so fortunate.

Sometimes that's absurdly useful. When I was at uni one of my best pals was big and vaguely scary looking - particularly as he was colour blind and had very pale eyes. No-one made trouble when he was around. Lovely bloke though - although he was also very strong and did martial arts so he could also very much hold his own in a fight. Did a lot of bar work and informal bouncering attendant upon that profession ( twas before the era of professional bouncers on pub doors).

OP
OP
semislickstick
New report of a cable tied across the DNA path in the evening, between the fences, last night :blink:
Have your good lights on.

Edit: The person that got caught up in it added a photo. If you know the spot.

Attachments

• cables dna.jpg
    cables dna.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Solocle

Über Member
Last time I was heading up that way the guided busway was flooded, but not by bandits. So I thought the A1307 would be a good choice.

Except it wasn't finished between Bar Hill and Swavesey...
1644496311772.png

1644496101376.png

No, I was leading a group, we ignored the "road closed", with the final act being riding the wrong way up the eastbound on slip at Swavesey (briefly to get between two lines of cones). :bicycle:

Top Bottom