Gumtree "Offers"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
When I suggested a tea spoon I really meant any household item that you wouldn't find on a bike seat ^_^

When I see a host of odd items appearing on the seat of bikes on e bay, I will know I started the movement. We can even have a variation. Ask for the bike to be photographed next to a statue or a bus stop. But not a red phone box. You see lots of Bromptons in front of red phone boxes on Gumtree and e bay.

For example:

image.jpg

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
As well as the frame number which is stamped on the flat part of the rear hinge, each Brompton has a durable sticker applied to the back of the seat tube at point of sale.
This bears a serial number and bar code, and constitutes the guarantee; if it's removed for any reason (usually a nefarious one!) the sticky residue which is left reads "VOID".
Ask to see a photo of the serial number sticker, if it's not clearly shown on the Gumtree/Ebay/whatever photo(s). If there's no sticker, don't touch the deal with a barge pole, as it's almost certain to be a wrong 'un. The original dealer will have made absolutely clear that the sticker should not be removed under any circumstances - and there's no good reason to do so.

roundthebendbromcycle

Hmmm ...red phone boxes eh, could be a secret code used by the organisation that steals the bromptons, I haven't seen a red phone box for ages, perhaps the gang thats stealing the bikes is stealing the phone boxes as well, think were onto something here.
great idea asking to photograph the sticker, didn't know I had one, just went for a peek....although it would be nicer to have odd items balancing on saddles on gumtree

Kell

Veteran
I'd echo that Gumtree does seem to be developing a reputation for stolen goods - or dodgy people.

Friends of mine got scammed when they were selling their sofas via Gumtree. I'd normally say they were intelligent people but they fell for the old 'courier' trick.

The buyer claimed to want to send them to somewhere else, transferred money into their paypal account and asked them to pay the courier direct. Lo and behold, as soon as they'd paid the courier, the money that was transferred into their account turned out to not actually be there. They were £300 out of pocket.

Top Bottom