Halfords free wheeler folding bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarah withers

Hi everyone,

first question and newbie so I hope you can help.

I have a fold up bike practically identical to this picture below. Mine is starting to show rust on the main frame work and alloys. I've been using a rub and foil for the metal. Any ideas how to treat the main frame without ruining all the remaining paintwork?
Sarah :smile:
$T2eC16R,%21%29kE9s4Z+lP9BRi%21oNwl,Q%7E%7E60_35.JPG

tyred

Legendary Member
It depends on how well you want it to look. If you don't mind too much, rub it down with a cloth dipped in diesel (don't do this if you keep the bike inside the house - too smelly) and let the diesel soak into the rusty patches and wipe off the excess. Maybe a spray with WD40 to remove the oily film but that will disappear in a day or two anyway. Repeat once or twice a year and it will preserve it as is for many years.

If you can find paint that matches (and it will be difficult to find an exact match unless you get a car paint provider to mix it up for you and that could get pricey for a small amount), you could sand the rusty patches back to bare metal, apply something like Jenolite or Kurust and then a little primer and the top coat. It will be difficult to blend it in exactly.

If it's just a few chips rather than full on rusty blemishes, try nail polish for an easy fix.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't really comment on the treatment for the frame but if you need to touch in some areas where the paint is missing try using the Humbrol enamel tinlets from model shops. Available in a large variety of colours from any good model shop, buy a few if you can't match it exactly and mix them, remember it will dry a bit lighter. I think they are about £1.20 each.

tyred

Legendary Member
It's also worthwhile giving it a good going over with T-Cut or even Brasso. It might clean up better than you think and then a good wax polish will preserve it like that.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Can't really comment on the treatment for the frame but if you need to touch in some areas where the paint is missing try using the Humbrol enamel tinlets from model shops. Available in a large variety of colours from any good model shop, buy a few if you can't match it exactly and mix them, remember it will dry a bit lighter. I think they are about £1.20 each.

Testors may work out well, a wide range of colors, also in the hobby shop.

OP
OP
sarah withers

sarah withers

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Some parts are only a few blemishes but then other bits are bit more widespread. i think i'll try out treating what i can, maybe polishing it back and trying to find some tester pots..Hopefully I can get it looking new again!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Nail polish works well for small areas. Been working around all of the paint chips on my Schwinn Passage of late, trying to repair damage a previous owner inflicted in what appears to be an eventful but not altogether successful career in cyclocross. If there are scratches, fold heavy paper four times and run that over the freshly painted area and that may get rid of overlap, leaving paint only in the scratch itself.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the comments guys!

Some parts are only a few blemishes but then other bits are bit more widespread. i think i'll try out treating what i can, maybe polishing it back and trying to find some tester pots..Hopefully I can get it looking new again!

Don't be tempted to buy the emulsion tester pots in DIY stores, they are water based and not suitable for bike, you need an enamel paint.

OP
OP
sarah withers

sarah withers

Nail polish works well for small areas. Been working around all of the paint chips on my Schwinn Passage of late, trying to repair damage a previous owner inflicted in what appears to be an eventful but not altogether successful career in cyclocross. If there are scratches, fold heavy paper four times and run that over the freshly painted area and that may get rid of overlap, leaving paint only in the scratch itself.
That paper idea is genius

Top Bottom