Halt Gooey Brake Pads ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm a bit disappointed with the wear of my Koolstop Salmons, they've only lasted 1800 on the rear before they are starting to get close to needing, the previous pads (Ultegra) got to 9600miles. The koolstops have probably been ridden in harsher condition but even then! Whilst searching the net I came across reasonably priced Halt Gooey, has anybody ever used them? what's long term rim wear like?

zizou

Veteran
They are quite good in terms of stopping power but they dont last particularly long. No worse than koolstops in that regard but not any better either either!

I have a set of swisstop green on at the moment which i'd recommend for braking perfomance and longevity - currently about 5000 miles and the front will need replaced fairly soon but the back has still got some life. The downside is that they are expensive (although the high price is a bit misleading - in a pack you get 4 blocks so the overall cost isn't more expensive than other good pads which tend to come in 2s)

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I have some on the front of my hybrid. They are pretty good but they screech quite loudly when braking fairly hard. I have tried toe-ing them in but it makes no difference.

Broadside

Guru
1,800 miles is not a lot granted but think how much your rims must be thanking you.

Isn't it the case that you can have any two of the following three: long rim life, long pad life, good braking efficiency.

My last set of pads lasted 5,000 miles but the rims are quite concave now, looking back I wish the pads went quicker and protected the rim life.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've been using Gooey pads for a while now on the commuter. Cheaper than Koolstop Salmon, and do almost as good a job in the wet. Soft compound so rim wear has not been an issue (and no need to keep digging out flakes of alloy from the pad like with the Shimano pads).

Think i've had the latest set on for just shy of 3K and they are looking about ready for replacement = but I'm a heavy bloke in a hilly area, and I commute in all weathers so can't really complain, plus blocks are cheaper than rims....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't get long out of pads on the commuter - less than 2000 miles - tend to use the clarkes ones - £6.99 for shoes and pads, plus 2 x extra pads. Rim friendly, good progressive braking.

Top Bottom