Hamstring Pull....Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
That depends what physical activity it is intended to be preparatory for. Impoving the blood flow to the target area prior to stretching was the norm when I boxed and did TKD, and were part of the same preparatory activity.
Hence "generally". The industry definition of a warmup is to prepare the body for exercise(by raising HR and increasing blood flow *even for anaerobic effort where HR will lag), which is the best way to prepare it for stretching as warm + supple tissue with blood blow is the easiest to manipulate..

Apply that to running, a 5k plod with no warmup is harder on you physically than a lighter jog to raise HR then easing into the main run, a 10mi club TT is harder on you with no pre-ride or effort, a 400m set in the pool is very hard without an easier set to raise HR and/or dryside banded activation, pulling 300x5 off the floor isn't going to be easy without working up to it.

You know the drill :tongue:

faster

Über Member
Do you know of a study into "warming up" that uses a larger experimental and control sample, of people of any age?

No, you don't, because there isn't one.

I'm afraid all you - or I - can do outside of that is speculate. Where large scale evidence does exist it shows no injury reduction benefit to warming up. Anything else is speculation, and it is concerning to see you speculating and coming to a conclusion with no evidence whatsoever to support your assertion.

What a bizarre post.

Thank you for your concern, but nothing in my post offered any sort of conclusion and no assertion was made.

All I've suggested is that it is unwise to generalise to such a degree. Like it or not, two battalions of marines is not representative of the population at large, or indeed people on this forum. The evidence presented is relevant to marines (or others with similar physical attributes) doing marine-ey things only, and in this context should at the very least be treated with caution, but more likely be dismissed as worthless.

That's not speculation - that's a fact.

If being concerned about speculation and forming conclusions based on no evidence whatsoever is your sort of thing, I suggest you head over to the 'Helmet Discussions' part of the forum - you can't move for that sort of stuff there.

It's pretty much all the anti-helmet brigade have to go on.

Top Bottom