Handle Bar Height......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all

I have just purchased a Carrera Virtuoso as a bike to tide me over a little while. However, although I have purchased the "large", it seems quite a small frame for my size. Now, I'm not freakishly tall, just 6'1". But I do seem to be dwarfing the bike somewhat.

I've adjusted the saddle, but the handle bars are uncomfortably low. I've tried to adjust, but there is only about 40mm to play with. Is there a way that I can increase the height of my 'bars?

As you can probably guess from reading between the lines, I barely know my arse from my elbow, so keep it simple please..... ;)

All the best, Andy

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Oh, incidentally, I do realise that the seat should be a fair bit higher for a road bike. But the difference between seat and bars is immense on mine..

I see 2 problems here ...

1. The staff at Halfords let you buy a bike that did not fit. Unfortunately, nothing you can do about it now.

2. It has an Aheadset, you will need to get spacers put under the bit that clamps to raise it up, but there may not be enough steerer tube to do this enough. Alernatively you could get a new stem with a different angle on it to lift the hadles up. In either case if you are not too confident on playing with your headset it is probably best done by a competent mechanic in a proper bike shop.

One thing before you adjust the steering dept -is the seat set too high? You shouldn't be straightening your legs and the bottom of the pedal rotation.

If you have spacers on top of your stem as it is set up then it's a simple matter to take the stem off and put the spacers under it so raising the height.

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Hi all

As regards the saddle height - I have it set so that my legs are almost straight at the bottom of the stroke. This is what I was told from a very early age. Am I going astray here?

Can't really blame Halford's, unfortunately, as I purchased the bike second-hand. It being the largest size, I figured I'd be OK. I'm told that the frame is "compact", and that everything is well with the world :laugh:. I'm not overly concerned about making a wrong purchase as the bike is in absolutley mint condition, and I got it for a song. So re-selling could be an option. I would rather just raise the bars if possible, though.

There are a couple of spacers. However, they are already under the stem, giving me about 40mm(ish). If possible, I'd like at least another 50mm.

So I'm looking at a new stem, right? I did tell you about arses and elbows :smile:

All the best, Andy

OP
OP
B

BilboSmeggins

Veteran
Thanks for that. That raiser looks like it could well pay dividends. not too sure about "flipping". I'll take a look in the morning. I'm too comfy right now :smile:.

All the best, Andy

Top Bottom