Handlebars & tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
In an attempt to resolve a tendonitis issue, I have just had the bars on my Giant swapped from a 40cm to a 38cm Giant bar
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/gear/product/giant.connect.sl.drop.bar.road.handlebar/572/39036/
and had the bars wrapped in a relatively fancy 3mm Fizik tape

I will also need to swap the bars on my Pearson carbon toy to a 38cm bar (which was fitted with a 42cm handlebar when built for me, although it was they who recommended the narrower bar last weekend :rolleyes: ) . The Pave also has a 100mm stem, but I have bought a 90mm one to match the Giant

I assume it would be eminently sensible to put the same bar and tape on both bikes? The Giant accounts for many more miles but I do intend to ride the Pearson a bit more this summer :blush:

The geometry is here for the Giant (size M) http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/avail.2/9048/48934/#geometry

The Pave is a 545mm frame

The Giant has Tiagra, the Pearson SRAM Apex so the hoods are a different shape, the shifting different

Cheers all. Sorry if all of this is really obvious!

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I put Specialized bar phat tape on mine a while ago. It comes with the gel pads to go under the tape. When finished it is quite thick, but it does IMO soak up a lot of the bumps. It's a bit pricey though. About £18 I think.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorted ages ago with fizik but ta. No bar phat for me as it's only comes in black, which is a no no :whistle:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Where is the tendonitis and how will narrower bars and a shorter stem fix it?

In my thumb although it's cleared up (as the OP was 5 months ago) - narrower bars help because I am not rolling my wrists in to get my hands in the right position on the shoulders / hoods and my arms are at a more natural angle. I didn't use the shorter stem in the end

Top Bottom