Handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Stripes

Stripes

I'm not sure that the bike is too small, if you feel the seat is set at the right height then the bike looks ok size wise. The handlebar grips are positioned higher than the saddle so the riding position should be quite upright so no need really to adjust/swap the quill stem.
If your wife is new to cycling then this may be the problem, get her to persevere, the pain is likely to ease as her core strengthens.
Thank you for taking the time to give me your advice in this matter and we will look at the set up carefully
Greatly appreciated and thanks again

The bars in the photo look all wrong. I think they are at the wrong rotation angle. Fit an adjustable stem to experiment with position. I switched my bars to One-One Mary which have a good reputation for comfort.
Take a look at the fit guide by Peter White, it works for non racing riders on any style of bike.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The bars in the photo look all wrong. I think they are at the wrong rotation angle. Fit an adjustable stem to experiment with position. I switched my bars to One-One Mary which have a good reputation for comfort.
Take a look at the fit guide by Peter White, it works for non racing riders on any style of bike.
The stem in the pic is a quill stem, can you still buy adjustable quill stems?
The bars look the correct rotation they are simply odd shaped bars.

OP
OP
Stripes

Stripes

Brilliant advice
And thank you for taking the time to go give advice on adjustable stem