Handsworth built Sun?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuart goodliffe

The Sun GT10 i have has the serial number HA9331958,and looks like a Raleigh Europa frame- does this mean it was built in Handsworth? I thought once TI bought Raleigh, all Sun models were built in the Carlton, Worksop factory. Does anyone have any info they could share with me please.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
stuart have a look on sheldon browns website he has a section re frame numbers , i also have used another website but cant remember the name will find it and advise . i think worksop made frames started to with a W prefix .

i am sure spokesman will be along , he is oue ewsident Carlton Man so maybe able to help more

Turnpike

Regular
Stuart, far more likely that the Sun was built in Nottingham. Often the serial numbers aren't stamped very clearly - could the "H" be an "N"? With a frame number as high as 331958, it's unlikely any other Raleigh plant would be producing that many frames in a single month, not sure how many frames Handsworth were building then. As far as I know, all Carltons using the post 1973 Raleigh numbering system carried the serial numbers under the BB, other plants carried them on the back of the seat tube.

OP
OP
S

stuart goodliffe

thanks for replying, it's def a H -wasn't 100% sure til i rubbed it down. Could the frame come from Handsworth but the bike have been assembled at worksop/nottingham?

Top Bottom