Has anyone done this ride or fancy doing it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There was a feature in Cycling Plus about the ride a couple of months ago.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Couple of mates of mine did it, tied it into a week or two touring in Italy.... Had a great time.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'd love to do that ride! All those boneshakers flying down, and crawling up hills. I wonder what they weigh and what sounds they must produce?:blush: You can even wrap a couple of inner tubes around your back and shoulders without being ridiculed!:becool:The only downside would be "No helmets allowed"though i think the old style soft helmets are allowed, as long as they DO look retro.
I bet they have some great times on the ride sharing experiences and advice amongst fellow lovers of all things cycling((and other stuff) retro! The food, the scenery even the weather, remember it is in October, looks better than the rubbish we have to put up with here in "summer".
I'm very tempted, even my old cycling mate(he's 76) is interested as well, he says the "pace of the race" appeals to him. I don't think that anyone will be trying to out pose anyone,as no carbon or lycra is allowed, just boneshakers, woolen jerseys, and goggles for those dusty white roads!:thumbsup:

The only downside would be "No helmets allowed"though i think the old style soft helmets are allowed, as long as they DO look retro.
Looking at some of the vids on youtube there are plenty of people wearing modern helmets

Would definitely take some good pun^&%^ proof tyres though,seem to be loads of people
suffering on that gravel surface,looks great fun mind

The only thing comparable over here I know of is the Pendle Witch vintage ride which
goes over the Trough of Bowland,picturesque but tough

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Quite a few posters on here have done it and also on the YACF forum.

Ive been building a bike myself for the event for some years though I don't think I'll ever do it if Im honest with myself as Ive got so many other cycling things going on that I can't afford :smile:

Top Bottom