Hate List

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
it still seems to smack of using less energy to transport a given mass a given distance which makes me uncomfortable!!!:wacko:

Its not less energy. Its just using more of the energy to propel the bikes.

Consider the following scenario.
I'm out with Mikey on the 'bent. Along for the ride is our mate Ian on an upright. We've all carefully selected diets, components and steeds to ensure we have identical mass. We're spaced out, rolling down a hill, all using the same amount of gravity, nobody pedalling.

Ian is up front. As a product of his speed, he's losing energy to a high pressure "wall" of air that's forming in front of him. He's also losing energy to a low pressure "hole" that's being dragged behind him. Sleeves ripple. Leaves whip up in his wake.
I'm 50ft back. Due to my recumbent bike, my high pressure wall is much smaller (as I present a smaller frontal area). I'm dragging a low pressure hole behind me, but again, its smaller than Ian's. Leaves shift a little in my wake. Sleeves lay flat.
Result: I catch up. Same mass. Same distance. Same gravity. More speed. Less of my energy is being used to lift leaves and make buffeting noises on my arms.

Now let's add Mikey. He's on a recumbent with a tailbox. He has the same high pressure wall in front, but an even smaller low pressure hole behind him, as the tailbox gives him a nice aerodynamic shape at the back. Leaves glance upwards, and ignore him.
Result: He catches me. Same mass. Same distance. Same gravity. More speed.

As I catch up with Ian, I start to fit into the low pressure hole he's creating. Now I'm acting as a tailbox for his bike. Leaves lose interest. He starts to roll faster. Ian is still losing a fair amount of energy on the high pressure wall in front, but everything behind is getting tidier.

Now I roll alongside him. The tailbox effect drops and he slows down a little. I still present a smaller frontal area to the wind, so drift past and slot in front. Unfortunately for Ian, he's a fair whack higher than the low pressure hole I'm presenting, so gets almost no benefit.
In this scenario, its easier for him if I'm wheelsucking than leading.

Of course, it all becomes irrelevant when Gaz speeds past playing Mr Slippy with the tuck, and Mikey and I break formation to go chase him :biggrin:

I only care about wheelsuckers if they cut around me at lights then dawdle off in front - or as is more common, when I take primary before a junction, pinch point, filter lane or similar and have to slow momentarily for cars, undertake then hover around alongside neither in front nor behind.

If some skinny runt desparately needs a tow off a fat bloke then I don't mind, that's their own fitness problem to address ;)

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
It would appear everyone else is far more tolerant to wheelsuckers than me :blush:

I must add tolerance issues to anger issues for my next therapy :whistle:

nilling

Über Member
Squeezers - had a few recently where once past me motons have moved well over to the right to show me just how much room they should have given me ;)

Taxis still waaaaay top of the list for me.

There's Phone users.

RLJers but more those doing it with a ton of metal.

Wheelsuckers? Well, if you're drafting me, you've got a problem. But there are enough people who I can drop just by upping the cadence a bit.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Oh I forgot one. A nice lady in a 4x4 just reminded me of it on the way home. Those people who happily overtake me, slot in front of me and then brake! It doesn't matter that I was doing 40mph at the time, that I'd left that space because it was specifically big enough for me to slow down in or that I was holding primary so she had about 20 yards between traffic islands to get past me.

Erk...

I am about to add "thunderstorms and driving, near-horizontal rain" (headwind) to my list of hates in about 15 minutes :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

I have a mental image of my waterproof hi-vis......hung on the coat hanger at home. Only a lidl gilet to keep me "dry" :sad:

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Ok after this morning's commute I'm revising my hate list:

1. RLJers. Yep still holding onto the number one spot comfortably, particularly the ones that ride at about 2mph and therefore get in my way once the lights have turned green.
2. Wheelsuckers. A new entry! If you can't maintain a steady speed of 23mph in an empty bus lane, get the f*** off my wheel. Particular hate goes to the ones who then RLJ and then smugly take the front at 15mph. Please don't do this, it isn't "taking your turn" it's "getting in my way"
3. Black cab drivers. Down from 2. I still think it's time you spent less time learning the knowledge and how to be a smug b******d and more time learning how to actually drive.
4. Squeezers. The ones that come through a pinch point alongside me. I'm still not sure what warrants "too close". I started to think at first that it was if I could touch the roof of the car but then that would mean virtually every car on my commute!!!.

I'm off to calm down now.

5.People with dirty Brand New Chains :rolleyes:

taxing

1. Headwinds.
2. Private hire taxis. (Black cabs are always very nice to me.)
3. Seeing roadkill. :sad: Three bunnies and a hedgehog today.

I lost my lights somewhere in my room 2 days ago and that was a right pain, I had a curfew! But I found them today and it was because I'm an idiot really, so I haven't included that on my list of annoyances.

Top Bottom