Have I bought the wrong size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bagss2

Regular
Hi folks

I recently started my hunt for a hybrid - for commuting and 'getting fit'. :becool:

On a limited budget, I wanted to get a used-but-good-spec bike, rather than a new and cheapo model - plus I knew I'd need all the necessary accessories.

However, eBay and Gumtree began to throw up options of older bikes that seemed to be either someone else's headache or potentially suspicious (maybe it's just me, but I think it's such an easy way to potentially shift on a nicked bike for decent money :angry:).

So, I went to a couple of bike shops (my LBS and Evans in Manchester). I'm glad I did as I realised there were conflicting trains of thought on bike sizing - and, my ignorant assumption of 'I'm 6ft so I need an XL' was quickly proved incorrect.

My LBS only had a couple of bikes that were of interest (albeit too expensive) but their stock was restricted to 20" bikes. I had a sit on them in the shop and was told that they were too big, as when I stand over the top-tube, it rubbed against my plums! :blush:

They insisted that i needed an 18" and that they didn't have one, so 'no sale'. This was good, as it allowed me to escape without feeling guilty for taking up their time & advice without buying.

That evening, an ad on Gumtree appeared from a local seller who had actually bought a bike from the very same LBS through the cycle-to-work scheme. She'd tried cycling to work for a few weeks and despised it, so was selling up.

The list was as follows:

• 2010 Claud Butler Urban 500 (Gents, 18")
  • 'Upgraded' Tyres - from slick-ish to Kendra treaded (unsure of the model)
  • Tortec Chromo-Tec Mudguards
  • Tortec Bottle Cage
  • Cateye Light Set (HL-EL130 + TL-LD130-R)
  • Kryptonite Series 2 U-Lock & Cable
  • Giro Skyline Helmet

She claimed it was '£600-worth'. All of the above, bar replacement tyres (she didn't get to keep the originals), can be had online for £400.

She was only asking £200. Handbook, instructions etc came with the bike and equipment so I had a good feeling about legitimacy.

So I bought it... :ohmy:

The bike is nice looking and the level of spec I wanted, at a great price. It's all truly in 'as new' condition, with literally one small mark on the bike frame only.

So, I should be delighted with my bargain, no? :thumbsup:

The problem I have is a nagging doubt:

The seller was a 5ft 8 lady. I am a 6ft 18.5 stone 'big lad'. How can it be that we should be riding the same size bike?

Although I'm 6ft, my inside-leg isn't long (c. 31") and, maybe I have big plums? :tongue: But I am comfortable that jumping out of the saddle on an 18" frame won't damage me like a 20" could. Is that the way to judge it?

In terms of reach to the bars, it is comfortable enough, however I planned to go for a good-quality adjustable stem for any bike I bought, so I can initially ease myself in with a more upright riding position (other bikes I have borrowed off pals have been uncomfortable with low bars), together with a quality saddle for my sensitive ar5e...

Have I let the 'deal' drive me to buy the wrong bike?

Or, from what I've described, was the LBS giving good advice? (Evans told me '55cm+ to achive an upright position'!)

Sorry to ramble on! Any feedback welcomed!

Cheers, Baggers. :smile:

Top Bottom