Have I got the wrong Brooks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I've put over 1,000km on a B17N and although it's like an armchair when I'm on the tops, I mostly ride on the drops and after about 75km I get a numb ding-a-ling.

The problem would appear to be that the nose is too pronounced and hard, so when I'm forward my essentials are getting squashed and I have to push myself back, so that my sit bones raise me up on the very back edge.

There is no excessive sag so I'm wondering if I don't need a flatter model.

Thanks in advance.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Can you stand it tipped down a bit? Or will you slip off?

Manonabike

Über Member
I've put over 1,000km on a B17N and although it's like an armchair when I'm on the tops, I mostly ride on the drops and after about 75km I get a numb ding-a-ling.

The problem would appear to be that the nose is too pronounced and hard, so when I'm forward my essentials are getting squashed and I have to push myself back, so that my sit bones raise me up on the very back edge.

There is no excessive sag so I'm wondering if I don't need a flatter model.

Thanks in advance.

B17N or standard are meant to be ridden on a more upright position that what you are trying to ride. I have also experienced the same problem when I ride on the drops for a while.

I'd suggest you try a saddle that is suited to a more aggressive position. The Swallow, Swift or even the Team Pro.

Manonabike that is really interesting to read as I had a B17N which I struggled with and changed for a B17 standard on a dropped barred Tourer so by what you say there were both the wrong saddles anyway. And to support what you say I fitted the standard onto an old mountain bike for a while and it really felt comfortable. Now that I have replaced the standard on the Tourer with a B17 Flyer sprung I think I will refit it to the mountain bike rather than sell as I had planned to do.

Manonabike

Über Member
Manonabike that is really interesting to read as I had a B17N which I struggled with and changed for a B17 standard on a dropped barred Tourer so by what you say there were both the wrong saddles anyway. And to support what you say I fitted the standard onto an old mountain bike for a while and it really felt comfortable. Now that I have replaced the standard on the Tourer with a B17 Flyer sprung I think I will refit it to the mountain bike rather than sell as I had planned to do.

I'm glad that you are finding what saddles to match with a particular bike. It can be an expensive mistake if you buy the wrong saddle.

I'd think you could get away with drop bars and B17s as long as the drop bars are not lower than about 1" of the seat level and that you don't ride on the drops all the time.

I have 6 brooks saddles, for all kind of positions :smile: they can be all very comfortable provided they are fitted to the correct bike. I can imagine the opposite holds too ^_^

Top Bottom