Headset (Ahead type) replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Headset on my cross bike is sounding rough, I guess it's time to replace it.

Ahead type, cartridge, for 1" steerer- nothing particularly unusual.

I can replace most bits on a bike but I've never done a headset. Normally book them into the LBS for this as I've always assumed I don't have the required tools but I've no idea whether this is actually the case.

What do I need to be able to do it? I'm only interested in the getting off the old headset and sticking in the new one part of the procedure. Adjustment I can do.

I'd be tempted to take it apart,give it a good clean and replace the bearings if need be.

Otherwise you will need to remove the old crown race - see this video

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAYYtAhAxS0

and fit a new one using a piece of tubing to guide it back to the bottom of the steerer.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Ah! I expect that's going to be useful.

Take it apart? I was assuming that cartridge headsets weren't serviceable- I'll do some Googling- ta.

Jonathan M

palinurus said:
Ah! I expect that's going to be useful.

Take it apart? I was assuming that cartridge headsets weren't serviceable- I'll do some Googling- ta.

No, that is the beauty of them, replace the bearings, no cup wear or pitting to be had et voila - its like a new headset.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Well..

Thanks. Not too painful, one issue that had me scratching my head briefly but solved that.

Headset all back together, just got to adjust it now. Ta.

I don't think there was any grease remaining in the lower race, pretty dry in there.

Top Bottom