Headset bearing race. Replacement choice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyY

I have a Challenge Seiran 24 with under-seat stearing with a worn headset, i.e. the stearing "auto-centres". I've had this problem from about 2 months after I bought it in spring last year. I submitted a topic to CycleChat about this last year and got help identifying the problem (many thanks) and based on that I rang a bikeshop who estimated £75+ to replace it. So I hesitated. Instead took the headset apart, had a look and rebuilt it but with a slightly looser headset bolt than before and so the problem has been 'under-control' ever since.
I'm now looking to replace the headset-bearing races. The only information on them are the angles and dimensions (36' x 45' and 30.2 x 41 x 6.5). I'm assuming that replacement bearing races using the same dimensions will be fine? Any other factors I should consider before randomly purchasing replacements? I'd rather not replace the entire headset as suggested by another bikeshop who also muttered about any replacements may not fit the old cups (...despite the dimensions being identical? ho hum!)

Guy

OP
OP
G

GuyY

Update:
In case anyone else needs to know: according to Paul at Challenge "The
bearings on your Seiran are normal 1-1/8 models. If you buy according
the numbers, nothing can go wrong. It is regular item."

Top Bottom