Headset Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Russdee

Hi,

I have just brought a new frame and forks; they have come with a headset (Cane Creek IS-3). Am having a couple of issues, can any of you guys help!?

There is a lower crown race that the bearings should sit on, only thing is this appears to big for the bearings; I would expect the bearings to click into the race with a little pressure. Also, if I slide the lower crown race on the forks it is too tight to fit onto the forks (there is a stepped section at the base of the steerer where it joins the fork). However, If I slide the bearing directly onto the fork it fits with a perfect "click" when I push it home with my hand. I am wondering should I fit the lower bearing without using this lower race?

Should the bearings be pushed into the frame with a press - when I brought the frame they said that I can assemble everything by hand though now am doubtful. I asssume I could draw the bearing up when I assemble the stem on the fork steerer and use the nut to tension thing's up would this be enough?

I am keen to do this myself but do not want top mess thing's up which the LBS will need to sort it out. If I do need a press then an LBS job from the word go!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Oh - frame is a Guerciotti Khaybar HT - the forks with the frame are unbranded though appear to be made by carbon - Tech in China Steerer is Carbon with the lower "stepped" coller being of alloy.

Cheers

Russ

Surprisingly you don't need clicks or pressure with these things.

The bearings have an angled inner on one side and an angled outer on the other. The angled inner just rests on the crown race with the angled outer locating on a corresponding angled wall in the head tube.

The forks may have come with a fitted crown race - is there an angled bit at the bottom that the bearing can sit on?

The bearing at the top is a mirror image so the angled outer goes that side down into the headtube and then a top with a matching inner angle is placed on the bearing.

Top Bottom