Headset Maintenance/Service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smeg

I am trying to service my mountain bike. How do you remove the spacers on the headset? Everything I've read regarding removing the forks says remove the spacers (then the race when I get to it) but doesn't mention how. Mine are stuck, it has rusted up a bit. Do I need a ridiculously large pair of pliars or something to grip hold of them?

This bike is on the Halfrauds service plan (for what it's worth) if they weren't so incompetent and knew something about bikes I'd take it in and get them to do it but I'd rather do it myself unless it's very difficult and I need lots of tools which I don't have.

What headset do you have?

If it is a Ahead headset just undo the bolts that are clamping your stem to the steerer. Then pull that off and the spacers are just there for the taking.

OP
OP
smeg

smeg

spandex said:
What headset do you have?

If it is a Ahead headset just undo the bolts that are clamping your stem to the steerer. Then pull that off and the spacers are just there for the taking.

No idea! It's not as simple as that I think there's a cup(?) covering a bolt(?) so I can't get to that until I get that + the spacers off. The bike is an Apollo XC26 so it's not going to be a top of the range headset by any means. Perhaps someone who is familiar with these bikes will know what it is. I could always post a photo of it tomorrow - I'm off to work in a minute and I wont be back until late tonight, not much to see but if it helps.

OP
OP
smeg

smeg

Landslide said:
Is your bike the same as this one?
Same model but a different revision, mine is an aluminium frame not steel, 21 speed not 18 and mine has a completely useless front disc brake instead of a v brake that would actually work.

OP
OP
smeg

smeg

View attachment 3815
Thanks for the replies, as you can see from the pic I need to remove the spacers before I can get to anything else.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
They should just slide off. If they're stuck (probably a bit of light corrosion), wiggle them off with some big pliers. Wrap the spacers in a rag or with a bit of old inner tube if you're worried about scratching them.

The steerer tube looks a bit corroded, but it should rub off with a bit of wire wool or similar.

OP
OP
smeg

smeg

Landslide said:
They should just slide off. If they're stuck (probably a bit of light corrosion), wiggle them off with some big pliers. Wrap the spacers in a rag or with a bit of old inner tube if you're worried about scratching them.

The steerer tube looks a bit corroded, but it should rub off with a bit of wire wool or similar.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking I'll have to get a large pair of pliers from somewhere. I'll deal with the rust later, for now I've sprayed it with GT85 and scrubbed it with a nail brush.

Top Bottom