Headset Query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

max_man

I removed my stem today to lower it (removed a spacer from the bottom to the top, done this before a few times). When I loosened the top allen head bolt and took off the top cap I brought out the larger bolt that the smaller bolt tightens into (hope I explained that right). No idea why. I put the bigger bolt back in and tightened a little, just past hand tight, then I reassembled everything as normal. It seems fine, just like normal adjusting of the headset, no play...all feels fine...but I don't really want to try it until I know what I must do with that other larger bolt that goes down the centre of the headset.

Any advice is greatly appreciated...ta.

PS, it's a Specialized Mindset headset.

To sort it out you

1st undo the clamp bolts on the side of the stem just a bit.
2nd the "big bolt that gose into the center of the headset" leave as is at the moment.
3rd pull the frount brake and rock the bike back and forth if there is movement you need to turn the "big bolt" 1/2 a turn.
4th keep on doing number 3 until there is no play in the headset at all but not to tight or you will kill the HS.
5th do up the clamp bolts on the stem.

Job done.

Proto

Legendary Member
Once the stem has been clamped onto the steerer tube, the top cap and expenader bolt are redundent, they are there merely to assist with setting the bearing tension.

So if the headset feels to be adjusted correctly, then you have enothing to worry about.

Top Bottom