headset spacers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I'm looking for a single 1 1/8" 25mm carbon headset spacer but can't find one.

It looks like 20mm is the max size. I know I can make the height with a 20 + 5mm or 2x 10mm + 5mm but I'd like a single 25mm spacer. If anyone is handy with google and has a few minutes spare I be very grateful.

Cheers

bigtoe

Über Member

Jonathan M

New headset with greater stack height, then a 20mm spacer? But this would be like using a hammer to crack a nut.

I've always gone with the appropriate number 5 or 10 mm spacers, working along the lines of being able to change stem height by flipping spacers above or below the stem - not that I have ever done so, but I've kept the option.

Not sure about the Ritchey one, looks like an odd shape, does it replace the headset top cup or something?

smeg

I just bought a carbon one off eBay for my MTB as it happens - but 20mm. I see what you mean with there not being any 25mm ones though I just had a look, so looks like you'll have to get two and have 10mm + 15mm or 20mm + 5mm.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have a couple of carbon spacers in my spares box - will check tomorrow and let you know the sizes...

EDIT: just saw the requirement for a single 25mm one - doubt I have that big. Teach me for skim reading :wacko:

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
So, I've found a 30mm carbon spacer - my next question is how easy would it be to cut 5mm off of it without it looking crap?

I have a steerer tube cutting guide tool - that could be useful! Then give it a go with the file?

montage

God Almighty
May I ask why you want a single spacer?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
tundragumski said:
If I use a 20mm spacer then I'd have to cut 5mm off the steerer tube and the bars would be 5mm lower.
No you wouldn't - just put the 5mm spacer above the stem. This can be a good thing to do anyway as it means the stem clamps are very much on the steerer tube and the clamping pressure is more evenly supported. It is always a good idea to put a 2.5 mm spacer above the stem, especially if you have a carbon steerer with a plug and not a star fangled thingy. Why a single spacer anyway? (as has been asked before ........) :thumbsup:

edit - yes, as you say - of course the bars would be 5mm lower, obviously.

Top Bottom