Headset ticking when pulling on the bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hello All,

I have a carbon fork with an alloy steerer on my relatively new road bike its done just under 400 miles so far.

I used it for a TT on Sunday and noticed today that a slight ticking noise was coming from the handle bar area when out the saddle puling on the bars. I checked the bars and tightened two of the bolts a half turn that I felt could do with it, the others were tight so I left them alone. I also slightly tightened the headset by nipping up the stem bolts slightly I am concerned about over tightening as I dont have a torque wrench so didnt go mad.

The ticking now seems to have gone but as the bike is new is this normal ? might it be insufficiently greased as opposed to not being tight enough ?.

If this happens again in quick concession what could be causing it to loosen and tick, as I did nip them up this morning before a ride and then heard it again this evening so am not sure why Ive had to do this twice now although it does seem to stop the noise each time !?. I have not ever used the bike in rain its well cared for.

Many Thanks.

Top Bottom