Heart stopping moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Having more or less signed off the web site that is paying for my summer holiday, I discovered that the navigation bar that self-sized and self -centred did not function in Internet Explorer 8 - curse you Bill Gates!

I though I'd have to spend ages wrestling with various permutations of coding elements to make the site work or create an alternative menu system that worked on all browsers.

It all brought back memories of the reasons I walked away from creating web sites.

Thankfully I found the fix on the Internet after a search. Simple to implement but incredible - instruct Internet Explorer 8 to behave like Internet Explorer 7.

What's happened to backwards compatibility?

The past few weeks have certainly been educational in a geeky sort of way.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Just use conditional statements and create a separate style sheet for each IE that miss behaves and over right the styles which are mucking it up. Easy as!

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
gaz said:
Just use conditional statements and create a separate style sheet for each IE that miss behaves and over right the styles which are mucking it up. Easy as!

No it's not.

It's easier than that!

Did all the conditionals to accommodate up to and including IE7 and forgot about IE8 as I've not upgraded my PC or its software in the past four years.

I now use an Apple for most of my work and Vista plus Windows seven will pass me by.

I suppose if I made my living full time from web work I'd be au fait with all of the quirks that Microsoft browsers have through their non standard and non uniform interpretations of HTML, Javascipt and CSS.

Still, I'm going to enjoy the fruits of my labour in France as I savour the fermented juices of the fruits of the vineyards.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No.. this is how it works.

Worker to IT.. "Shall I just switch off and on again.
IT.. "No don't do that I will come back to you with a fix"

One hour later
Worker to IT.. "Have you managed to sort if for me?"
IT.. Yes, can you switch off then back on? that should sort it..."

threebikesmcginty said:
Don't you just turn it off and turn it on again?
That's what our IT dweebs always say.

Top Bottom