Hell of the Ashdown 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The Hell of the Ashdown is a hilly 100k sportive that (up to now) has been organised by Catford CC. It was, I think, a re-badging of Catford CC's reliability ride.

I've done it a few times and it's a good enough way to get very cold and knackered on a Sunday in Feb.

Anyway, Westerham CC have taken over it and it will be running again in 2022

https://www.helloftheashdown.cc/

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It looks like a nice route, but I wouldn't fancy the date! :cold:

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It looks like a nice route, but I wouldn't fancy the date! :cold:
You would approve
1636049340035.png

In my experience, quite a good natured relaxed ride. Natural selection generally causes groups of slow trundlers to form. There are always a few serious looking riders hanging round the start but for some reason I don't see any of them on the road ;)

But very chilly

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You would approve
View attachment 616432

In my experience, quite a good natured relaxed ride. Natural selection generally causes groups of slow trundlers to form. There are always a few serious looking riders hanging round the start but for some reason I don't see any of them on the road ;)
Since I got so old and slow I avoid long rides at that time of year, especially hilly ones! I used to do 200s in November and February but that would involve me riding for hours in the dark now. At least the Ashdown is a more manageable distance. I would want to be one of the riders starting nearer 08:00 rather than 10:30 though in order to get back before sunset around 17:30. (Not that I am ever likely to tackle it!)

Tribansman

Veteran
Looks a great route. Drove down to Eastbourne last week so saw some of the scenery the route will go through and remember thinking it looked inviting.

Will prob book on to this

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
The Hell of the Ashdown is a hilly 100k sportive that (up to now) has been organised by Catford CC. It was, I think, a re-badging of Catford CC's reliability ride.

I've done it a few times and it's a good enough way to get very cold and knackered on a Sunday in Feb.

Anyway, Westerham CC have taken over it and it will be running again in 2022

https://www.helloftheashdown.cc/
Have a special thanks for alerting me to this. My first such event.
Start off at 9.12 back at.....^_^

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've just been looking at the details on the website. For anyone who's done this before it's worth double checking.

There is a new start point. It starts in Westerham rather than the old start in Biggin Hill. This removes some of the steep hills (Berry's and Hogtrough) so the overall ascent is reduced to 1641m in 104km, down from 1930m in 107km.

It's also a bit less accessible. The nearest train stations are Sevenoaks and Oxted. Neither of which will have a service on a Sunday morning that will enable me to get there for 8. So it's a question of whether to ride there or drive. Hmmmm. I don't like driving to the start of a ride but I might in this case.

Route here:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37603598

Last edited:

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Wife's PCR came in as positive so have very reluctantly decided to give this a miss. Stunning blue sky today and lighter winds than past fortnight.
Good luck to those taking part and I look forward to the match reports later...

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It was a glorious day. Chilly to start off (3° according to my Garmin). Blue skies and sunny with a fair bit of wind on top of the Ashdown plateau but not really elsewhere. I was off at 0810, so right at the front. Being a slow coach this meant I spent the whole day being overtaken, and I don't have anything to complain about - all riding I saw was well disciplined and sensible. Feed stations were well stocked, well they were when I arrived, maybe less so when I left. Some excellent sausage rolls (vegan option available, which I tried by mistake and it was very tasty). All the organisation went perfectly as far as I could see.

It's the third time I've done this. It''s a nice change. Although I ride all of the parts of the route on my own regularly it makes a really interesting change to do it as part of an event, and not to have to worry about food, and a number of other things.

To make up for the loss of Hogtrough due to the change in start location they sent us up the parallel Brasted Hill (host of national hill climb champs in 1931) then a U turn at the top and straight back down Hogtrough. After 95 km that's just sadistic. I made it up without walking but there was a guy walking just ahead of me and I was slower than him!

We were given a little pep talk at the start by Brian Smith of Eurosport fame. His words of wisdom were "take it easy at the start and use low gears on the first hill" (or something like that). Telling me to take it easy and use the lowest gear possible is a bit like teaching Grandmother how to suck eggs ;)

My legs hurt.

Last edited:

Falsesummat

My cycling pal and I were in the 9:56 group, so relatively late setting off.
My first time cycling in Kent / Sussex area, and it was a delight. Well organised, good refreshments at the 2nd feed station in particular.
I chose to ride on my Genesis croix de Fer touring bike, complete with mudguards. Fortunately, last year I fitted a shimano grx 46/30 chainset and with 11/32 cassette so I was able to ascend the hills quite quickly. My mate rode on a Giant TCR with 52/36 chainset with powermeter cranks, and 11/32 cassette. Frankly, unless you're an aspiring racer my opinion is that it was overgeared.
In fact, we thought it would be more challenging than it was and so took it easier than usual.
My Garmin shows 6000 ft of climbing which is pretty much the same as day 2 of my last September LEJOG.
If I ride it again next year, I'll not keep my powder dry.
Thoroughly recommend this sportive

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You probably overtook me at some point. If you remember a large rider in a yellow Aldi jersey on a black steel bike with Tubus rack - that was me.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Excellent route with some difficult climbs. Kidds & (the south side of) Toys aren't easy, same with Hogtrough & Brasted.

The toughest in that area, in my experience, has been Yorks Hill - east of Toys. Also, Chalkpit Lane, south of Woldingham, after a long day, is pretty hellish too.

I'll never forget the wise advice we were once given: "the first climb you'll feel great, the second climb will be like the third, and the third will feel as it's the tenth."

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Excellent route with some difficult climbs. Kidds & (the south side of) Toys aren't easy, same with Hogtrough & Brasted.

The toughest in that area, in my experience, has been Yorks Hill - east of Toys. Also, Chalkpit Lane, south of Woldingham, after a long day, is pretty hellish too.

I'll never forget the wise advice we were once given: "the first climb you'll feel great, the second climb will be like the third, and the third will feel as it's the tenth."
I think in terms of cold hard statistics Yorks is the hardest, then Brasted then Hogtrough. But Hogtrough is the one that fills me with fear and has the voodoo over me so I'm glad we came down it rather than going up.

Top Bottom