Hello, advice needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jcj

Hello everyone.

Well after years of looking at my bike in the garage I went out on a local sky ride recently and the bug has bitten, really enjoying being back on my bike.

So looking to get out on some local back roads canal towpaths and cycle routes (not likely to tackle rocky climbs etc)

Unfortunately my old MTB is a little worse for wear and I think a little small. Hence I hoping you may be able to offer some advice on a future purchase.

I think a hybrid would best suit my needs but open to suggestions.

My current ( not so ) short list looks like

Giant roam 1

Scott sportster 55

Felt QX85D

Dawes 501

Claud butler urban 600

All of which seem to be available for about £400 - 500 at the min. Open to other suggestion.

Will be going to try and look at in lbs but any thoughts much appreciated, the hole suspension / no suspension got me very confused.

Thanks in advance, James

:welcome:

Take a look at the BOARDMAN and CARRERA bikes at Halfords . You only need to buy the bike from them, you never need to go back in again, (don't worry if that sounds harsh and doesn't make sense, it will in time) :whistle:

Also the DECATHLON range get good reviews from guys on here, so they should be on your list too I'd suggest.

Don't get hung up on the big names like Giant, Scott and Felt. You can often get much better value for money with other brands. Online shops like WIGGLE can often save you £££'s, but then again lots of LBS's, (Local Bike Shops), have cottoned on to this and will often price match, or offer extras to seal the deal.

You do need to develop a relationship with a good LBS as there will be times when you need them, and if you spend hours trying their stuff* then going off to buy online you aren't going to get any help when you need your buckled wheel fettling in time for Mondays commute.

So you need to find a balance between buying at the right price and buying locally. Don't worry if the first couple of LBS's you try are not cheap, friendly or even interested as their are some shops like that. Mooch around, ask for recommendations on here for good LBS's in your area and you will find one.

*The only exception to this IMO would be Halfords. I'd have no qualms about getting sized up and trying some bikes for size in there, then if you don't like the Boardman/Carrera bikes take the information you've got and apply it to a purchase elsewhere, (note: Boardman and Carrera bikes are only available at Halfords).

I hope all this makes sense and I'm not waffling too much, (not been up long!).

Take your time and have fun, there's nothing quite like buying a new bike :thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

Jcj

Thanks for the advice.... i have looked at the boardman bikes just a little pricey, ideally hoping to stay below £500.

Completely agree with yoru lbs comments i will be trying to put some business their way.

If anyone has any recommendations for shops in or around leicestershire pls do let me know.

Top Bottom