Hello and help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul-kent

hi all
New to the forum but old hand with bikes,
I'm currently working on Raleigh sports 3 speed and I need to replace the brake cables.
Is there anywhere that I can get the original spec ones with nipples on both ends and the adjuster.
I'm having no joy sourcing them
Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisEyles

Guru
If you can't find the right cable with nipples on both ends, could you try putting a cable crimp on one end and soldering it in place? I believe you can get a variety of different sizes for fishing, so should be able to find a good match. This is what I'm planning on to make my own Sturmey Archer gear cable (it is going on a large framed bike and the only one I have is too short).

OP
OP
paul-kent

paul-kent

That's a thought but I wouldn't trust my soldering abilities especially when it comes to brakes.
I have seen screw on nipples but they just don't look right

OP
OP
paul-kent

paul-kent

Sturmey Archer cables are readily available, so why mess with that?
Please send me the link of where these cables can be obtained.
I think you may miss understand the op. I need cables tha have nipples on both the lever and the caliper ends. My caliper said have no clamp just a cup where the nipple sits, the only adjustment is on the threaded adjuster that has to be supplied with the cable.

OP
OP
paul-kent

paul-kent

This is the type of cable I am looking for

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 26

ChrisEyles

Guru
Ah, I was a touch confused there too! I've already sorted a home-made cable this afternoon from the odds-and-ends draw.

That brake cable looks a little more complicated though, and like you say the connection needs to be strong and trustworthy for the brakes. Maybe try ebay and see if you can find some NOS or second hand cables?

OP
OP
paul-kent

paul-kent

I'm starting to think it may be easier to source some normal calipers.

sidevalve

Über Member
Soldering cables [when new] is both easy and trustworthy.
1 - put cable through nipple
2 - solder cable end
3 - pull cable back into nipple
4 - important, splay out cable into nipple
5 - reapply soldering tool until solder melts
The now soldered splayed out cable can not pull out [the actual solder simply keeps it splayed out it has little effect on keeping it in place]
Having soldered lots of classic m/cycle cables [including clutch and brake cables] I know this works - it is a very old technique.

Bobtoo

Über Member
No need to trust your own soldering- just get somebody else to do it. Even in 1978 I had to get a cable made up for that type of brake, so you've little chance of getting one off the shelf now..

Top Bottom