Hello from Birmningham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Hi all,

New member here, so saying hello.

I like many others here have recently got back into cycling after many years absence. I'm an IT professional and spend far too much time at a desk on my arse, so my middle had expanded over the years and now at the age of 36 I was 18.5 stone and feeling crap. It all came to a head one day where I took my kids to the park and a small kick around and I was a wheezing mess. It was then and there I decided to get off my fat arse and do something about it.
I cannot stand gyms and whenever i've tried to stick to a routine I just end up bored to death and give up. Gyms for me are soul destroying places.
Anyway, cycling was something I did a lot of when I was a kid, so I thought what the hell. Started off on a rubbish old MTB and lost 1/2 a stone pretty fast. After that I caught the bug big time, and invested in a road bike (Boardman Race). I'm averaging about 130 miles per week now, and have just gone through 1000 miles total so far. I'm also down to 15 1/4 stone now. Ideally I would like to get to 13st, as I'm 6'1" and this would seem to be a healthy weight for my frame.
Currently saving pennies for a full carbon racer in the new year.

Challenges done so far this yr : 1st 100 mile ride from Birmingham to Bristol (6hrs 25mins total)

Upcoming challenges: Tour Of Britain Challenge stage (Stoke) 80Km.
Dragon Ride 2012

Anyway, that's me.

James

machew

Veteran
More important than north or south, bluenose or villain?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Great to hear the story. Seems a lot of people on here have found health, fitness and weight loss through two wheels.

Also most people on here seem to have the same attitude towards Gyms. I think that we need a "love-in" with the gym community in order to break down some of the barriers, cut out the "us-and-them" attitude and foster a spirit of peace and understanding between us.

Don't expect me to go to a gym to do it though. Scary places them fitness centres.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hello - I grew up in Brum and surrounds!

Whereabouts are you and welcome to the forum!!!

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I'm west birmingham (bearwood)....

The whole gym thing leaves me completely cold. It's just for any serious weight loss / aerobic workout you need to spend a decent amount of time doing the exercise, and in the gym it's just so boring looking at the same walls / tv set. At least on the bike the scenery changes and time seems to fly by quickly (3 hrs can seem like 15 mins). I just find cycling so much more entertaining. Also it's nice to get some clear headspace, put the world to rights and be alone with my thoughts.

Wouldn't mind joining a local club and doing some group rides....

J

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Cool will check out your website when I have time - Being fully pro is hard work but very fulfilling!

I found the gym was very useful for specific types of training and weights.
Those still in the Midlands will be able to help you more on the club front but that will really take your cycling to a new level.

Hah just seen some of your studio circus/aerial arts stuff - just been photographing an aerial arts course in the lovely background of a sports hall!!

Top Bottom