Hello from Cheltenham - just did my first nasty hill!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rayw1604

Hi All,
I've been lurking in the forums for weeks now, having a laugh and also finding a lot of very useful information from all the members' posts here. Anyway, I thought that today I should contribute my own post, especially as I broke through an important obstacle(important in my own little world anyway :thumbsup: )

I am a 48 year old male, happily married, and have had a touring type bicycle for about 6 years - the Orbit Orion, now an obsolete model by an obsolete company, I believe - but really haven't done much with it, except in bursts of short-lived enthusiasm, and usually in the summer. I tried doing 300 miles in a month back in February, 2008, but gave in/lost interest after a few days of bad weather, after only 60 miles in total.

Fast forward to October this year, and the bike is mouldering away in the corridor of my flat, unloved except by my Norwegian Forest cats, clogged up with cat hair for that reason. I was very unhappy with my weight - nearly 15 stone - and lack of fitness, and decided that cycling had always worked for me as a means of losing weight in the past, albeit only for a little while. So I washed and cleaned the bike and started a new regime - cycling some days but not every day, not putting pressure on myself if I didn't feel like it, mixing it up with gym sessions (I'm a receptionist at the YMCA in Cheltenham, and get use of the gym for free, so no excuses there), and keeping a diary on my PC of which routes I did, what distance and average speed I managed etc. I bought the Cat Eye Double Wireless computer thingy, as I felt that cadence was a big issue in getting the most of my cycling.

Anyway, to cut a very long post short, I have lost 18 pounds in 8 weeks, having cycled in all sorts of weather, rain, wind, gales, darkness, you name it, and I have loved every second of it. I feel supremely good in myself. My average speed has improved from 12.5 to 13.6. And, just this morning, I conquered a psychological and physical block I have, namely hills, by cycling non-stop up a particularly nasty specimen in Cheltenham called Harp Hill. I have good gears on my bike but haven't used them properly until reading up on good technique, here and elsewhere. That hill climb, a stroll in the park for many seasoned cyclists here, I will grant you, means so much to me, I cannot emphasize enough. I tried doing it in October and managed about ten yards before dismounting. I am now going to do it at least a couple of times a week, and time myself next time(this time I was so concerned about doing it at all, I forgot to take a note).

I have no intention of stopping now, and keep myself going with the thoughts that a) I feel so much better, and other people are noticing too, and :angry: it will be so much easier and more fun come next Spring, now that I have started at what is really the wrong time of year.

Phew!! Those members who have got this far, thank you for your patience. I will make future posts shorter, but I really felt I needed to offload all my thoughts and happiness, and share it around in some small way :smile:

And thanks for a great forum ;)

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Hi & ;)

OP
OP
R

rayw1604

I'm trying Cleeve Hill the sneaky way on Wednesday - around the back via Prescott and coming from Winchcombe ;) I'll also be going up to Painswick via Cranham at some point, my wife's sister lives up there.

And thanks for the words of encouragement.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
well done i personaly love hills and go looking for them, not that im any good on them its where i allways get dropped some say im known as canal leg steve! but i will win in the end

If you have managed Harp Hill, Cleeve hill will be a walk in the park by comparison(well done) . I've not got a granny ring on my Marin so the chances of me getting up Harp hill are small to non existent.

Welcome to the forum from another Cheltonian ;)

OP
OP
R

rayw1604

Hey thanks for the late flurry of posts :smile: and apologies for not getting back earlier. Thank you all for your warm welcome, I get such a lot of pleasure out of this forum, not only for inspiration and motivation cycling-wise, but for a lot of great fun and wit too.

By the way, since that first success, I have had difficulty in getting up Harp Hill. :smile: I attribute this and a slight drop in my average speed to the colder weather and more difficult conditions. I am getting back out on my bike tomorrow after a week of pre-Christmas overtime at work :smile: and icy roads, during which I only managed a couple of sessions on my resurrected turbo trainer (better than nothing), and am really looking forward to getting back into the swing of cycling and the great feeling of fitness and satisfaction I get from it. I am confident that my hill-climbing will improve, the more I cycle and practise, and the better the weather gets.

Top Bottom